starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifting with Scoliosis

Default Deadlifting with Scoliosis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've sifted through many posts but haven't found the info I'm looking for regarding deadlifting with scoliosis.

First off I have done some research on Lamar Gant. I know he had severe scoliosis and lifted an enourmous about of weight. My build in terms of scale is different, I'm 6'1 240lbs with long limbs and short torso similar to Lamar. I'm also 26 and my scoliosis is very very mild.

2 Questions...

1) just out of curiosity, does pretty much everyone with any type of scoliosis have a shortened torso due to a curved spine?

2) More serious...Due to the loading of the spine in the deadlift, will lifting heavy eventually do damage to the spine? Heavy in this situation being 450lbs+.

I'm currently at 225lbs for my set of 5, I'm starting low to make sure my form is spot on. At this weight I feel good, and I feel that my back is getting stronger. As the program progresses I'd like to continue to push myself and get as strong as possible, without doing damage to my already not correct spinal alignment. Any info will be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevensk06 View Post
    Any info will be useful.
    Hawai'i is the only state in America that produces coffee.

Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.

You can't hum while pinching your nose shut.

Or did you mean any relevant info?

More possibly-irrelevant info.

I'm quite kyphotic, not quite Quasimoto-hunchback level, but as straight as I go still looks like a slouch. Low-back disk problems too.
    Deadlifts help. I just get my back as straight as it can get and hold it there.

My upper-back muscles are getting big from this -- someday I'll look like a ninja turtle. Cowabunga dude!

I've also got a mild case of scoliosis and am lifting about 325 lbs for reps. So far no problems, if anything my back feels better than it has in years. If you're keeping everything tight and don't have anything going on besides a curve to your spine I don't see why heavy lifts would cause trouble for you. Lamar's back bent like a spring pushed sideways when he was lifting 700+ lbs and he was fine afterwards.

1) just out of curiosity, does pretty much everyone with any type of scoliosis have a shortened torso due to a curved spine?

2) More serious...Due to the loading of the spine in the deadlift, will lifting heavy eventually do damage to the spine? Heavy in this situation being 450lbs+.
    1) yes
    2) can't say. There is no formula of "X degrees of curve leads to a limit of Y lbs in the deadlift." All we can say is that lifting with shitty form is more likely to hurt you than lifting with good form. And if your structure is messed up (as mine is) then your form will always be shitty to some degree. Everyone when lifting needs to start light and build up step by step rather than getting greedy and leaping ahead, and everyone needs to be conscious of good form. Someone with an injury or issue it's just more so.

Thanks for the responses everyone....even the smart ass ones. That's why I love these forums, helpful insight mixed with some good old fashioned humor! Thanks!

Thanks for the responses everyone....even the smart ass ones. That's why I love these forums, helpful insight mixed with some good old fashioned humor! Thanks!
    You're welcome. I double-checked those facts before posting them, so while they may not be helpful, they're at least verified.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    You can't hum while pinching your nose shut.
    Gee thanks. I just had to try this out. A weirdly frustrating experience. Brain kept saying "you can do this!" Reality had other ideas.

the "humor " rarely is, although the "humorist" probably thinks so

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 65 and the first time I was told I had scoliosis was when I took a police physical at age 25 or so. I didn't know what it meant and thought they were blowing smoke. I continued lifting, rock climbing, practicing and competing in karate etc. With little to no problems but the occasional twinge or pull.

Yes, I have a short torso and relatively long limbs for my 5'10" frame. (!75 lbs.)

In my 40's I had an on the job injury while training, (law enforcement), and had an x-ray at the orthopedist's office. It was the first time I saw what my spine curvature looked like and it kind of shocked me. (I was there for a torn bicep capsule unrelated to the spine.)

I asked the orthopedist who treated professional sports teams in South FL if I required any treatment for my "condition". He asked me if I was symptomatic and I said no.
    He said then keep doing what you're doing.

Twenty some years later I'm still at it, hitting the iron a couple days a week and the Concept2 Erg for conditioning.

Bottom line...work within the limits that your body dictates and you should be fine. I'm not a strong deadlifter at 65 but I'm still pulling in excess of 300 lbs. and hope to improve on that as the year progresses.