starting strength gym
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Planks to assist deadlift?

Default Planks to assist deadlift?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Happy new year, Rip.

Last year I increased my max deadlift to 435 (got it on New Year's Eve). I'm pretty pumped, now it's on to 500, hopefully sometime around June or July. We'll see.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on planks as an assistance piece? Are they worth doing? If so, how? I'm looking for something to do on recovery days to keep moving forward while avoiding the temptation to pull too often and overtrain.

Thanks.

The short response from Rip is probably because this is covered pretty well in PPST3. Check out the advanced novice section IIRC. You're probably better off doing glute-ham raises than an isometric hold like planks.

I like the Ab Wheel, Planks, and Leg Raises.

Planks seem like a waste of time. The resistance is light and not really loadable. Doing a longer plank seems like it would only improve your endurance with the plank, not improve your ability to maintain extension under load. Back extensions are loadable, as are partials and those all offer a less stressful alternative to the full deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I like the Ab Wheel, Planks, and Leg Raises.
    ab wheel and hanging leg raises are awesome and I hate them both.

Planks can work, but you have to load them to make them useful.. if you have someone who can place a plate on your back and make sure you are holding flat, go for it. Same with the ab wheel... you have to hold your back in extension and probably with weight. I honestly think that working on an explosive pull will give you more return for the work. If you do go the ab work way DO NOT DO THINGS THAT INVOLVE BENDING. Find a way to hold, briefly, under pressure.

I don't think adding weight on the back during a plank would help. The weight on the back applies a force that would cause extension, which would only effectively train the spinal flexors rather than the muscles that are actually the limiting factor in a pull.

Reverse hypers > planks x100000

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    I don't think adding weight on the back during a plank would help. The weight on the back applies a force that would cause extension, which would only effectively train the spinal flexors rather than the muscles that are actually the limiting factor in a pull.
    I may be thinking of a different thing with planks - having your ventral side down while supported only at the feet and hand/elbows. If you put a weight on the back, it forces the ventral trunk muscles to contract to prevent the back from hyper extending just as they must to hold an unweighted plank.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast