starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pressing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    You need to honestly settle down a bit. Your logic isn't always "sound" (particularly in a deductive way; not that mine always is either) and is sometimes unclear.
    There was nothing wrong with the logic I used in the staement I was attacked for in this thread. It was sound.

dbl postv

Having your logic challenged is not an attack, it is a constructive method of working through problems. Being challenged and not getting defensive is a critical skill in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Having your logic challenged is not an attack, it is a constructive method of working through problems. Being challenged and not getting defensive is a critical skill in business.
    So is knowing how to challenge someone without insulting him/her. Quips typically don't get the job done constructively but they make one look cool, typically at the expense of the person being challenged.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 06-26-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    So is knowing how to challenge someone without insulting him/her. Quips typically don't get the job done constructively but they make one look cool, typically at the expense of the person being challenged.
    Fine, I apologize for my choice of words.

I have one more set of pin squats and I can call it a day and cool off.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 06-26-2015 at 03:34 PM.

There was nothing wrong with the logic I used in the staement I was attacked for in this thread. It was sound.
    Dude, chill.

But - to answer your question - if someone had an urgent need to get their press up, I'd have them press a shitload. So much that an assistance like dips could compromise recovery...which would fuck up frequency, reduce tonnage, provide less "fresh" reps for technique work, etc.

Only a big concern with advanced peeps. Margins of error are tiny a that level. A 2% fuckup with a newb is no big deal: but maybe the difference of a national record for competitive peeps.

EDIT: I took issue with your assertion that Bryan's statement was "specious". I disagreed with you & found your logic for the justification of the speciousness strained. The OP's question was pretty basic and had clear parameters.
    Last edited by John Hanley; 06-27-2015 at 12:10 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    The book seems to suggest to

press bench press

Press bench press

Press bench press

I would do 5 sets of bench once a week instead of 3, or 3 sets and 2 sets of bodyweight dips to failure
    Mr defensive was wrong because the book says press bench press
    bench press bench

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234