starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pressing

Default Pressing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For someone who has no interest in bench pressing at all, but wants to get their overhead press up as fast as possible, would it be advisable to press every workout or still alternate bench press and press?

The book seems to suggest to

press bench press

Press bench press

Press bench press

I would do 5 sets of bench once a week instead of 3, or 3 sets and 2 sets of bodyweight dips to failure

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    The book seems to suggest to

press bench press

Press bench press

Press bench press
    I have no idea what you are trying to say. But something tells me you have never read the book. For shame. The Kindle version comes pretty cheap, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Anon321 View Post
    For someone who has no interest in bench pressing at all, but wants to get their overhead press up as fast as possible, would it be advisable to press every workout or still alternate bench press and press?
    You can press every workout if you like and skip the bench press entirely. But why would you want do that? Injury?

Why no interest in benching? Usually it's the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    I have no idea what you are trying to say. But something tells me you have never read the book. For shame. The Kindle version comes pretty cheap, you know?

You can press every workout if you like and skip the bench press entirely. But why would you want do that? Injury?
    What is so wrong about not doing bench press? Unless you are a competitive PL, the standing press is a far superior pressing lift.
    if I wasn't competing I would drop bench press in a heartbeat

You can do weighted Dips and press to which you target a mass of upper body muscle.

Here's Rip's take on it: Bodyweight OHP today vs 60 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I would do 5 sets of bench once a week instead of 3, or 3 sets and 2 sets of bodyweight dips to failure
    Not an expert by any means, but might add that your Bench grip should probably be as narrow as possible within the range of what's recommended in the book. Not CGBP's, at least to start, just a narrower grip for the Bench so the forearm is close to perpendicular to the floor but on the narrow side of that range.

FWIW, one idea would be to do option [a] (5 sets of Bench) until you are capable of a strict 20 bodyweight dips then switch over to [b] except lower the reps and add weight to the dips. Bill Starr was a big proponent of weighted dips to increase the Press.

There's nothing wrong with not doing bench press. But if you can do it, why not? It's very useful when used alongside the press, squat and deadlift.

Press every workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    There's nothing wrong with not doing bench press. But if you can do it, why not? It's very useful when used alongside the press, squat and deadlift.
    Why do you think it is useful?
    When you design a program you neef to know why you are doing a particular lift over another. Is bench a superior lift than dips?

Not to say you can make press as the primary and bench becomes sn assistance lift.
    It comes down to why am I doing any lift and does the lift provide what I want or need.

I still maintain dips and press are better than press and bench. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by lou t; 06-24-2015 at 12:14 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Press every workout.
    Simple advise that is relevant and would work. I don't know why anymore needs to be said.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast