starting strength gym

Thread: Working with a supraspinatus tear

Default Working with a supraspinatus tear

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coach

Thank you for your time, and thanks for sending your lads to Australia earlier this year it was brilliant.

I have an annoying shoulder that gets quite painful every couple of months especially getting into position for the squat and heavy bench presses. It got the the point where it was waking me up at night so I decided maybe time to see someone.
    A physio down here sent me off for a scan and found a tear in the supraspinatus tendon and usual chunk of inflammation that follows, his recommendation was to stop benching for up to six months and try front squats instead of back for up to 2 months while the inflammation and the tear both settle down.
    The physio is a big fan of your books and normally gets me back into the gym really quickly so I was a little surprised at the amount of time he recommended away from these lifts - what are your thoughts?

The plan with the physio is:

Squats: 2 months off of back squats - as it gets close to end of the 2 months try back squats and see how the shoulder feels. Said to try front squats in the meantime to keep me sane.
    Bench: Lay off of it for 6 months, and keep away from anything within 10° either side of 90°
    Press: As normal, maybe drop some weight off and work back up. Generally use the press to strengthen the shoulder while taking a break from bench
    Deadlift: As Normal
    Chins: As normal, being careful of any sudden pain etc.

Current Lifts:

Squat: 170kg
    Bench: 90kg
    Press: 68kg
    Deadlift: 140kg (had an injury just got a best belt and working back up quickly)

Thanks again for your time coach!

Also are there any SS coaches down in Australia?

A rotator cuff tendon tear will not fix itself. It requires surgery and a long recovery

Did a surgeon look at the film and determine you needed surgery?

Did they suggest an injection to calm down the inflammation?

Did the MRI show the level of tear?

Was the bicep tendon involved?

Hi Joel

There are now three Starting Strength Coaches in Australia.

Two in Sydney and myself in Adelaide. Where in Adelaide are you located?

Having torn both of mine, all I can say is get it fixed. It won’t go away. PT can alleviate pain for a time but the tear will remain and then you will do something just wrong and finish the job. Better to get it fixed on your schedule than have a full rupture determine the schedule. In the US, tears have to be of a certain size before they are covered on insurance. My left was about 0.5cm when diagnosed. I was loading heavy bags into my truck six months later when it went the rest of the way and became “surgical”.

Good luck!