starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check 265x5

Default Squat Check 265x5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coaches,

Back for another squat check after a couple stalls and deloads due to a nagging knee injury (not lifting-related).

In previous form checks with coach Wolf and Rip I was advised to work on keeping my elbows down/locked and chest up. Rip also advised narrowing my grip. Here is a set of 265x5 from yesterday's session:

Apologies for the dark shorts but I think the camera quality is enough to see what's going on. I thought these were looking better overall but gradually got worse and worse until the last rep, where I was right back to the elbows coming up and rolling the bar forward to the point of almost killing the set. I've moved my grip in about 1" on each hand and am cueing "elbows down" to myself throughout the entire set, but I just can't seem to keep the bar locked down to a tight upper back. I'm not sure if I'm losing tightness throughout the set or just never really getting it right in the first place. Any thoughts on what's going on here?

I'm working to arrange an in-person coaching session with Wolf next month, but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime it would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly, those look pretty damn good. The only comment I have, and it is very minor, is to make your descent a little smoother. It looks like you let go and accelerate a little at the bottom before catching yourself and coming back up. Otherwise, nice work.

Thanks for the feedback, Tom. Squats have been the biggest struggle for me to progress consistently, so I'm happy to hear they're at least looking good. Perhaps mental toughness is the bigger struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    It looks like you let go and accelerate a little at the bottom before catching yourself and coming back up.
    I noticed this as well. I sometimes see on my videos that my knees actually slide back a little bit at the bottom, unlike most people who tend to let them slide forward. It seems like this could shift the weight behind the mid-foot slightly, and thus cause my tendency to pitch forward slightly as I try to get back in balance. Would you agree?

I was able to book that session with Wolf; heading down there next weekend.