starting strength gym

Thread: Choosing between re-doing LP and intermediate programming

Default Choosing between re-doing LP and intermediate programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip, and everyone else reading. First of all, thanks for all the content you're publishing, without it I wouldn't be even addressing this.

After nearly a year of sub-optimal training, I found myself in situation similar to Novice to intermediate back to novice? .

I am a (nearly) 18 year old male who started lifting last summer. Because of my stupidity and lack of initial research, I did not follow the program, and not in the usual YNDTP way - I did not do it at all. I did not know about your methods back then and I opted for a simple LP operating inside the 5x5 rep range and I definitely recognize that as a mistake now.
    I stumbled across your book/YT channel/website roughly 6 months after the start of my 'career' when my progression started plateauing (I gained about ~16kg of bodyweight in the process).

Having thought that I am already past the novice stage, I started following the Texas Method template outlined in Justin Lascek's book which I read thoroughly a few times now. Based on your T-nation article on said program, I manipulated my calorie intake in order to gain about 25 pounds in a year (so a kg a month). This has proven to be quite ineffective as I knew I would fail my next ID about two months into the program. Honestly, I became pretty frustrated with that as the problem had persisted, so I resorted to asking you for help directly.

Right now, I think I am facing a decision - resetting the loads some (20%?) and starting LP correctly this time, according to the book. Or sticking with my current TM programming and upping my calories some.
    I'll very be grateful for any input, thanks.

sq 135
    bp 87.5
    dl 165
    press 60

Too light to be that height, boyyyyy. Gain weight, do LP. Be aggressive about it. Lifts'll go up. Maybe a few months of progress, especially if you aim for 105kg bw as an end goal w/ 2kg bw gains a month. Do it.

I mean, you could keep doing TM, but meh. You're about the same height and weight as novices in my gym who just won't eat to gain weight. Their lifts have stalled a long long time ago. You won't get fat, so don't even worry about it. I know what fat and being fat is. Fat is not 100kg at 186cm. Trust me on that. Dew the programme.

Thanks for replying!

especially if you aim for 105kg bw as an end goal w/ 2kg bw gains a month
    So you're saying that 0.5kg of bw per week is sufficient enough to sustain LP even after going through it (well, partially) already? That's great honestly. Would you say I should lower the loads before restarting LP? Kinda as if I was doing a reset on SS, to get rid of possible accumulated fatigue.

Start your week with the training loads of your volume days but for 3x5 and you'll be aight. No assistance but chins. Don't do any sport or conditioning in the meantime. Go to bed on time, drink your milk, get your 250g of protein a day, lift with good form. That's about it, really. Don't know why that "Ripp-etow" feels the need to write overly long books about it. Should focus more on romance novels if you ask me.

You'll 3x5 may start to stagnate in your final month of bulking. If so, transition to the advanced novice template on time to milk the programme for a couple more weeks. Go back to TM (if you want) once you've stalled, eh, twice and reset once already. If you have access to a coach, difer to him/her instead. These kinds of things are hard to predict ahead of time, hence this entire industry exists.

Ok, will do, thanks again.

I didn't mention in in the op, but my plan is to get my squat up to 405x5 and deadlift to 450x5 with some adequate press numbers before I join local weightlifting gym, so my further progress will be taken care of by a coach.

Those numbers should work for an 18 year old, currently underweight male. That's only about 50kgs away on your squat, anyway, so won't be long.

Gotta be careful with the weightlifters. Don't let 'em take your low bar squat away, son.

starting strength coach development program
    Heh, I hope they won't try to.