starting strength gym

Thread: Umbilical hernia-was given the OK to lift

Default Umbilical hernia-was given the OK to lift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    26, male. I was diagnosed with a small (<1cm) umbilical hernia. Apparently I've had the condition my entire life but it only became noticeable in the past few days (the spot is tender and full).

My doctor told me to visit a surgeon in a month for a consult, and that I may not need a surgery any time soon. She also explicitly told me I can continue to lift heavy while wearing a belt, and only seek urgent medical attention if it ceases popping back in while I'm lying down or gets really warm/irritated. This surprised me, as I was expected to be told to lay off the weights until the surgery. Has anyone else also been given the OK to continue lifting prior to surgery?

Apologies if this has already been covered. I've read through the prior threads on this topic and haven't managed to find someone else who was told by their doctor that they could keep lifting and put off the surgery.

I was told in my annual in 2013 I had double inguinal hernias, but not to worry about them. In my December 2014 annual I told they'd gotten to the point where I was given the name of a surgeon. I had an arthroscopic double mesh repair in January 2015. I was back to squatting in thirteen days.

The surgery is a big nothing from my experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

So the moral of your story was that you were fine squatting and deadlifting in the period between diagnosis and surgery?

Definitely. The lifting likely exacerbated it, but I suspect so did being overfat for fifteen years - and the lifting made the surgery a breeze and recovery faster. To steal Sully's line, Barbell Training is Big Medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Definitely. The lifting likely exacerbated it, but I suspect so did being overfat for fifteen years - and the lifting made the surgery a breeze and recovery faster. To steal Sully's line, Barbell Training is Big Medicine.
    I had an inguinal hernia repaired on the right side 25 years ago (no mesh). I suspect it is returning. Do you mind me asking what type of procedure you had and what your recovery time was?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I had an inguinal hernia repaired on the right side 25 years ago (no mesh). I suspect it is returning. Do you mind me asking what type of procedure you had and what your recovery time was?
    Double mesh, arthroscopic - three tiny incisions. Only complication was the surgeon got the local anesthetic too close to the bladder and I couldn't pee. Got catheterized and relief, and once I could go on my own I went home.

I was cut on January 7th 2015, was back to pressing and bench in nine days, fully back under the bar in thirteen days. I've not had an issue since.