starting strength gym

Thread: 18 years old, lifted 3 years, Novice numbers.

Default 18 years old, lifted 3 years, Novice numbers.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I am currently just turning 18, i have been lifting 3 years now, for some background info, I trained Split type programs for 2 years, and I really never got any stronger, but I did go from 115 lbs to 160 lbs now.(my height is 5"8 or 5"9) I am by no means big, but i am bigger than before, note during this time I was not eating very much at all, to sum it up the calories probably ended up 2k or less a day. the last year i have been constantly switching around not making much progress. I am done with how things are going, and want to make a big change. My numbers are as follows, (for reps of 5x5 bests), Bench 135lb, squat 190lb, deadlift 235lb(1x5), row 100lb, Press 95lb. I am very worried, because it has been 3 years, that I cant make the proper adaptions anymore, my question is, with all this and my low numbers, can I run the novice program, and make adaptions like a novice since I've been so weak? (Im going to start gomad) and hopefully gain muscle. I know this has probably been answered somewhere, but please understand that a very direct answer is extremely appreciated, and gives me lots of motivation to trust and know what I am doing is optimal. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Sam99; 08-01-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    my question is, with all this and my low numbers, can I run the novice program, and make adaptions like a novice since I've been so weak?
    Yes. The only ones who can get strong are those who are weak. Strong people are already strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    I am very worried, because it has been 3 years, that I cant make the proper adaptions anymore, my question is, with all this and my low numbers, can I run the novice program, and make adaptions like a novice since I've been so weak?
    I had similar concerns when I started the SS NLP after two decades of working out with weights. No reason not to try, though, is there?
    The NLP will still work for you.
    EAT and SLEEP. Good luck!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

My first deadlift was 65 lbs. After about 6 years of lifting (poorly, apparently), I had comparable squat and deadlift numbers to your current numbers. My bench was bigger, but that's because I trained it frequently.

I was able to run an LP past three plates on the squat (330x5x3 on the first run, as I recall), and I'm not an athletic specimen.

As others have said, the key is to:

(1) Follow the program--don't modify it because of how you "feel"

(2) Eat enough to continuously gain weight--at 18 years old, this may be a large number of calories. Track your eating as precisely as you can so you can keep yourself honest.

(3) Sleep as much as you can...at 18, you should be able to get 7-8 hours a night easily.

And also check in once in a while in the technique and other forums. We can be a little brash at times, but most of us here want to help others make the same rewarding journey we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    My first deadlift was 65 lbs. After about 6 years of lifting (poorly, apparently), I had comparable squat and deadlift numbers to your current numbers. My bench was bigger, but that's because I trained it frequently.

I was able to run an LP past three plates on the squat (330x5x3 on the first run, as I recall), and I'm not an athletic specimen.

As others have said, the key is to:

(1) Follow the program--don't modify it because of how you "feel"

(2) Eat enough to continuously gain weight--at 18 years old, this may be a large number of calories. Track your eating as precisely as you can so you can keep yourself honest.

(3) Sleep as much as you can...at 18, you should be able to get 7-8 hours a night easily.

And also check in once in a while in the technique and other forums. We can be a little brash at times, but most of us here want to help others make the same rewarding journey we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    I had similar concerns when I started the SS NLP after two decades of working out with weights. No reason not to try, though, is there?
    The NLP will still work for you.
    EAT and SLEEP. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    Yes. The only ones who can get strong are those who are weak. Strong people are already strong.
    Thank you everyone! I will start today!