starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contraindications to Barbell Training?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
    Enjoyed sharing! I've been waiting to reveal this in my training log as it is just a big story to unwrap. The reality is that I'm blessed and can have some experiences, and take some risks, that others cannot.
    May I refer to you as a case study and mention your story in the event that this topic comes up in group discussions?

Sure. You bet.

The interesting thing will be to determine how far I can take this (which I'll be meeting with my cardiologist to discuss shortly). I'll provide an update on what comes of that. Each increase in weight obliviously changes the risk/reward balance. We're charting new territory here.

Thanks Ivey. Please do keep us updated.

For anyone shopping for an update...

Just left the cardiologist who shared with me his general advice for every patient that is post-surgical. Obviously, I'm no doctor so this isn't specific advice for anyone. It is more food for thought as you navigate this situation for yourself or a client.

His general guidance for anyone that was cleared for exercise after having an aortic aneurysm/dissection repaired is this:
    He says sets of 20 reps is a safe bet. Also, the ability to carry on a conversation (even if winded whilst doing so) is equally ok. Obviously, no one gets swole following this guidance, but it could be enough to get a sedentary person mobile. We've all seen footage of clients that couldn't squat the bar and celebrate their mobility improvements. Therefore, I think there's some benefit to working with someone even with these restrictions as much can be done before the weight gets heavy.

The above advice isn't the universal standard. Based on online exchanges with cardiac athletes or on the marfans forums, I have also seen this: 1) nothing over 50 pounds, 2) nothing over 100 pounds or 3) go for a walk.

To summarize, you are ok if it weighs less than 50 pounds, or less than 100 pounds, or you can lift it 20 times, or you do nothing. Doesn't really clear things up.

All doctors I've seen (including my own) say not to lift heavy. They each describe heavy differently (as shown). What they are after is limiting risk by controlling systolic pressure.

We don't have good tools for an everyman to measure blood pressure while lifting. If we did, then we'd have to provide a guideline for what is the max safe systolic pressure which would be different for every doctor. Again, not helpful.

To wrap this thing up, individuals are unique and have different risk appetites. Finding a cardiologist that will look beyond the easy (published restriction from the National Marfan Foundation) to provide unique guidance may be difficult. Also, that unique guidance will likely only result in a small deviation from one of the above standard recommendations. You simply aren't going to be an impressive lifter with marfans.

I've worked hard to get up to some pretty light lifts myself. I'm cleared to maintain those modest gains, but it isn't a 100% risk free decision. We simply believe the risks to be acceptable for me (the most special of snowflakes).

Excellent posts by Ivey, moving this back here.

Lack of a meniscus in the knee is generally a contraindication for squatting. Interestingly, I had a woman train with me for a year and a half and got quite strong who claimed to not have a meniscus in her left knee. She didn't tell me that until a year and a half in and never suffered any pain from it. Still, not a a good idea to have bone on bone contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Lack of a meniscus in the knee is generally a contraindication for squatting. Interestingly, I had a woman train with me for a year and a half and got quite strong who claimed to not have a meniscus in her left knee. She didn't tell me that until a year and a half in and never suffered any pain from it. Still, not a a good idea to have bone on bone contact.
    Could be she's taking painkillers before training? And how dangerous is training(especially squatting) with a torn meniscus?

Everybody has a torn meniscus, so it's not dangerous at all. This gal has NO meniscus, which is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Everybody has a torn meniscus, so it's not dangerous at all. This gal has NO meniscus, which is a different matter.
    How do you know, that EVERYBODY? And why does this happen?

starting strength coach development program
    Meniscii get torn when you use your knees hard. Obviously not everybody does this. This is what we native English speakers call an "exaggeration" for emphasis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast