starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder and Sternum Pain

Question Shoulder and Sternum Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

I have had shoulder pain in the past when attempting overhead press, even with 2 kg dumbbells. They would just click at first then develop into a painful click. This sometimes happened during my bench press and when I lifted my shoulders above my head, but usually were not painful. When I found your instructions on the app I followed them but still found my shoulders clicking when using a 5 lb barbell. I made sure that I shrugged at the top and tried to keep my shoulders narrow. Mostly the clicks were not painful. Should I be concerned?

Also after benching pressing and especially after dips I feel sternum pain the next day. Not sure if this is related. The pain can only really be felt if I take a deep breath or stretch.

Thanks in advance.

Jsc.

Sounds like something is wrong.

Thanks Mark. Do you suggest seeing a physio or have you seen a similar problem like this that has been easily fixed at home?

Physios understand more about shoulders than anybody. See one immediately. Then, sign up for our Pay Site, coming soon.

Jsc, you might have costochondritis. Its a fairly common thing that people who lift weights have. I'd avoid the dips for a while and see if it calms down but continue to press and bench (shoulders permitting). As for the shoulders, I'd do what Rip said.