starting strength gym

Thread: Chase Lindley should weigh 275 pounds?

Default Chase Lindley should weigh 275 pounds?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,

Just out of curiosity, is there a time in training where gaining weight no longer benefits a trainee? Would it be accurate to say that when a person is no longer underweight, they shouldn't worry about weight anymore?

I noticed that Jordan Feigenbaum and Austin Baraki are 200 pounds each and have been for a while. Are they keeping their weight at 200 on purpose to stay in a weight class or would it simply not make them stronger anymore to gain weight?

I saw you mentioned you were trying to get Chase to 275 (not sure if you we're being facetious). Chase is already pretty damn strong, if he gained another 25 pounds would that really help him get stronger at this point in his training career?

Thanks,

Matt

When you become insulin resistant you might want to slow down.

Are you suggesting until then keep eating?

Yea just eat your way into an early grave. /joke

If you want to be as strong as possible, you're gonna need to get pretty big. Don't eat a bunch of shit and you'll be fine. Unless you have that genetic urea disorder that Australian figure gal had. Then you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    Hello Rip,

Just out of curiosity, is there a time in training where gaining weight no longer benefits a trainee? Would it be accurate to say that when a person is no longer underweight, they shouldn't worry about weight anymore?

I noticed that Jordan Feigenbaum and Austin Baraki are 200 pounds each and have been for a while. Are they keeping their weight at 200 on purpose to stay in a weight class or would it simply not make them stronger anymore to gain weight?

I saw you mentioned you were trying to get Chase to 275 (not sure if you we're being facetious). Chase is already pretty damn strong, if he gained another 25 pounds would that really help him get stronger at this point in his training career?

Thanks,

Matt
    There is a theoretical maximum to the amount of muscle mass that can be added onto a particular frame. Obviously, additional fat on top of this is not helpful. It is actually detrimental since now you have to move that weight in addition to the bar. Chase is extremely strong and not exactly short. Rip is probably encouraging this to get as much muscle onto Chase as possible since he is an extremely gifted, young lifter with a hopefully bright future. From a competition standpoint, the more muscle mass you can have on your frame - with decent body composition - at a given height the better.

This is just my opinion since I am neither Austin nor Jordan. Rip wants Jordan to gain weight. Jordan knows that his lifts are lower as a result of keeping his weight at 198. If you notice something funny about that number, it is a weight class. To the best of my limited understanding, that is the weight class that Jordan competes in. Also, you have to consider that they as doctors and can't exactly walk around as hulks at 260. Might hurt their practice. In professions where face matters, I am sure that this is no small factor.

TL;DR: Gaining weight no longer benefits a trainee when the additional LBM gains must be accompanied by an unacceptable (performance wise) amount of fat gain. So basically, as long as you can lose the fat later, you get as big as you can get. This is because a pound of muscle can overcome its own weight.

Yeah this is a great answer. Do you have any knowledge when someone is not gaining muscle anymore, and just gaining fat?

And yeah that makes sense about Jordan. I wonder if he went up to say, 230, if his lifts would even go up much. He looks like he has hit the genetic limit for muscle mass - he is jacked.

Not everyone here agrees with Rip's numbers on what amount of weight one should gain. When people have followed earlier nutrition recommendations he made, they discovered the vast majority of their weight gain was fat. If you're too conservative, you may lose some progress, but the act of losing weight is non-trivial in many ways and minimizing how much of that you have to do is perfectly rational, even for competetive powerlifters since they compete in a weight class anyway. Just like you can be too conservative with gaining weight, you can be too liberal with gaining weight and gain a bunch of useless fat that just makes you less competitive.

Also, the older, and less male (read: lower testosterone) you are, the less favorable protein partitioning you have anyways. Meaning you gain less muscle per weight gain and lose more muscle per weight loss, and the act of bulking/cutting becomes less productive and should be pursued more conservatively.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    Yeah this is a great answer. Do you have any knowledge when someone is not gaining muscle anymore, and just gaining fat?

And yeah that makes sense about Jordan. I wonder if he went up to say, 230, if his lifts would even go up much. He looks like he has hit the genetic limit for muscle mass - he is jacked.
    It is pretty easy to tell if someone is primarily gaining fat based off of a weight measurement at the navel. or how their pants fit around the waist. If you are just gaining fat, you should stop eating so much since it isn't helping you. Also, Rip is well known for exaggerating the weight he would like to see people at to combat the societal obsession with visible abs. However, the most common misapplication of his diet advice was his GOMAD plan for underweight 16 year olds. People were then surprised that they gained fat as a 33 year old, alreayd overweight male. Jordan has an article about his calorie/macro recommendation based on your current goal but the 'optimal' way to find your sweet spot is by taking a value and titrating it up or down based on results. If you are noticing fat gains or large waist size increases, decrease your intake. If you aren't gaining any weight (and need to), then eat more. The 'ideal' is that your body weight increases while your waist size stays the same or decreases.

I believe somewhere Jordan mentioned that he knows that he could be stronger if he gained weight. Based off of his nutrition expertise, I think he has at least a suspicion that he could gain more muscle mass. The amount of lean body mass that you can put onto a person is often quite ridiculous.