starting strength gym

Thread: Injuries - Training Modifications + Office Worker & Recovery

Default Injuries - Training Modifications + Office Worker & Recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,
    I started the SS NLP programme this year and making some great gains, awesome book. Couple of questions:

1) I'm an office worker, workout one day and on the next day go for a walk, stretch and take it easy. By the end of the day off i can't wait to work out the next day. Would I still be adhering to the programme if i don't take Sunday off (72 hours) but keep to a 48 hour break?
    2) After multiple injuries suffered in an bike accident in 2014 (femur, patella, shoulder blade, dislocated left lunate bone in the wrist, ribs, ruptured spleen, ripped open foot etc) my progress has been going well then halted for another surgery (ie 2017), I've had two issues which i need your assistance with now I'm finally able to get back on track as all surgeries are over:
    a) my right leg and glute is a alot smaller than my left, i favor the left side when squatting, should i do some assistance exercise just for this leg or start small of the barbells and work it up?
    b) my left wrist injury restricted movement making racking the bar hard and reducing its structural strength (not to mention long forearms), are there any other explosive movements i can use that keep a neutral wrist position and still keep the explosive side of things.
    Thanks
    Nathan M

Quote Originally Posted by nathanm89 View Post
    Would I still be adhering to the programme if i don't take Sunday off (72 hours) but keep to a 48 hour break?
    Nah, mate.

should i do some assistance exercise just for this leg or start small of the barbells and work it up?
    Nah, bloke.

b) my left wrist injury restricted movement making racking the bar hard and reducing its structural strength (not to mention long forearms), are there any other explosive movements i can use that keep a neutral wrist position and still keep the explosive side of things.
    Nah, flim flam ramazam.

In all seriousness, stick to the programme on rest. You'll need the extra day once the weights get heavy. Don't do assistance for "lagging body parts", just do the lifts as symmetrically as possible and focus on the "lagging body parts". I usually tell people to, for example, lead with the left arm if they press asymmetrically favouring their right. Works well enough. Power clean is usually the first lift to drop when things go south. Don't catch cleans on a shitty wrist. Reintroduce it once your wrists feel better, or get a form check down in the technique forums. Read the sticky first before you post there, though. I've made the mistake of not doing so before.

If your wrist injury permanently prevents you from catching cleans, stick to jumps, throws, and dynamic effort work for explosive movements. But not yet. Run out the NLP as written then go from there.

Thanks Bill, I'll take video of my clean next week and send through. Any exercise recommendations?

Thanks Scaldrew

Don't get hung up on the whole monday-wednesday-friday thing that's just a guideline to help you get started. A lot of people have funky schedules that means workouts end up on random days with random off days between them - just never work out two days in a row, and try to take 2 or 3 days off in a row every so often. Learn how to listen to your body.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Bill, I'll take video of my clean next week and send through. Any exercise recommendations?
    Nothing outside the NLP exercise selection until you make it to the intermediate level. Then it'll depend on what the next goal is.