starting strength gym

Thread: Why train?

Default Why train?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip,

I've had much success doing the Starting Strength programs, recommend the book to everyone, but sometimes struggle with motivation as I juggle priorities at this stage of life. I'm 32 years-old, more focused on career, personal life all that stuff.

What are the benefits for someone like me, whose organized sports days are over, to really further my training? And by that I mean faithfully following the program and progressing to heavy weight.

Right now I'm squatting 3 x 5 @ 320. That's okay, but I'm functionally strong enough by contemporary American standards - right? What's the impetus to shoot for 385-400? Why should I care?

Two things that keep me going are building discipline and mental toughness. I find these to skills to carry over into other aspects of life.

Any insights would be helpful.

Thank you.

good thread in Rip's Q&A on "Maintenance": "Maintenance."

you can see how certain people's views in this thread are sorta twisted.

post #28 makes a lot of sense.

At some point, if you don't want to gain anymore weight and/or get any stronger, I don't see a problem with that. (maintaining)

How much more of a "useful person" would you be at a 405x5x3 squat than where you are now.

What will it take to get there?

Some may argue you'd be better off LATER in life, by getting to the 405 figure now while you still can, or have the opportunity.

I don't know if that's true, and neither do they.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    post #28 makes a lot of sense..
    Stupid post, by a notorious asshole