starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method

Default Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Started Texas Method this week, was unable to even squat for my second day. Was still a little sore when I woke up this morning (from 8 hours of sleep). I did one set with the empty bar and felt pain in my adductors, enough that I couldn't complete my 2 light sets. Does this mean I'm still a novice and cannot yet handle TM? Or will my body be able to adapt to this increased volume on day 1 in the coming weeks.

Numbers last week and this week?

245 for 3 sets of 5, got stuck there for a few weeks/resets. Dropped to 240 for 5 sets of 5.

Could've seen that one coming. Thanks, Rip. Will come back here if I still have issues after DTFP.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

How old are you? 245 seems a little light for ending LP...

Yo, OP, just run the novice progression for a little while longer and gain a bunch of weight. After cutting for way too long as my entry into lifting, I set myself up on the Texas Method. After 3 months, I was barely making a 230x5 squat on Friday and figured "it shouldn't have to be so fucking difficult at this level". I was right and the seed of doubt that day planted into my mind grew into my quick decision to go back to the novice programme and see how far I could make it. I ended with a 295x5 squat at an overly fluffy 235er. Barring the excessive fluff gain, I don't regret my decision one tiny bit. Between the two volume days of squatting 185 or now 265, it's obvious which one is the bigger, better stressor. Especially given that my ID squats are going much better now than they did way back then.

But seeing as these are your first few posts, I second Coach Butland's enquiry. Share some details with us on this thread or even on the other subforums and get some advice tailored to your needs. It won't hurt and can only help.

well two things:

We'd need to know his stats: age, ht,wt, sex, etc
    (i.e. 245 being light)

Also, IIRC, you are suppose to use your last 3x5 on LP, or should I say: heaviest 1x5 (say if doing 1x5 with 2x5 backoff sets) for your ID weights on TM.
    To provide a sort of deload. Then calculate for 5x5 @ 90% of that ID weight.

Not an expert though.

OP, search the boards. A lot of material has come out that TM "proper" is a really poor choice for just about everyone:

https://startingstrength.com/resourc...thod-suck.html

The Texas Method and 5/3/1 | Jordan Feigenbaum

Yes, I will be continuing the LP. I had a long phone conversation with coach Scott Hambrick, who gave me some options to deal with my specific problems, specifically anxiety.

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck, man. I believe in you.