starting strength gym

Thread: Ache in knees when going up stairs normal?

Default Ache in knees when going up stairs normal?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've done a search and can find a lot of threads about knee pain, but mine isn't that severe.

The day after sqatting I feel an ache at the top of my knee caps that I only notice when climbing stairs.

I'm just wondering if this is normal, or could it suggest I'm letting the knees go too far forward on the squats?

Squat weight? Generally, I tend to find that when I'm not near a PR, my knees complain more than they otherwise do. Getting your lifts (sq & dl) comfortable in the low to mid 300s should help, too. If all that doesn't solve it, get a form check. Maybe you're "in your knees" too much. As for the knees forward during your squats, film it and see. Easy to spot, harder to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1w View Post
    I've done a search and can find a lot of threads about knee pain, but mine isn't that severe.

The day after sqatting I feel an ache at the top of my knee caps that I only notice when climbing stairs.

I'm just wondering if this is normal, or could it suggest I'm letting the knees go too far forward on the squats?
    Dan, we can't give you a conclusive diagnosis based on the information provided, but it could very well be the result of a technique issue. Do you have video of the squats?