starting strength gym

Thread: Where is the spine my scapula? I just can't feel the correct place to place the bar .

Default Where is the spine my scapula? I just can't feel the correct place to place the bar .

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    image1(1).jpg

I've labelled the point where I place the bar and where it fits snugly and comfortably as 'O'.

Is that the correct place for the bar or is it lower?

I think you got it right, next time try a pic with the actual bar on your back

So it is difficult to say without a bar, and more importantly, without being to palpate where the spine of your scapula actually is. There can be many variations in where the spine of the scapula actually. In my case, the medial aspect is substantially lower than one might expect. However, I believe 'O' is a good start. Generally you can tell if the bar is not in the correct location. There will be pain, potential significant bruising on the scapula, or the bar will want to roll down or up. If none of these things are occurring either the weight is not heavy enough to diagnose a misplaced bar or you have it in the correct location.

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    So it is difficult to say without a bar, and more importantly, without being to palpate where the spine of your scapula actually is. There can be many variations in where the spine of the scapula actually. In my case, the medial aspect is substantially lower than one might expect. However, I believe 'O' is a good start. Generally you can tell if the bar is not in the correct location. There will be pain, potential significant bruising on the scapula, or the bar will want to roll down or up. If none of these things are occurring either the weight is not heavy enough to diagnose a misplaced bar or you have it in the correct location.
    Ive squatted 85 kgs without any issue of bar sliding. What I'm concerned is that I can't feel the bar push againt a rigid bony spine, while on the other hand, points below 'o' do not hold the bar properly and the bar makes contact with bony surface of scapula and not on bunched up muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    I think you got it right, next time try a pic with the actual bar on your back
    85 kg 187 lb 1st set - Streamable

Can you tell from looking at this video?