starting strength gym

Thread: Breathing and Hernia

Default Breathing and Hernia

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    [I have searched the forum but without luck for this exact topic, feel free to move the thread if already answered.]

Watching the videos and reading the book, it is clear we need to take a big breath and hold it while lifting the weight. On the other hand, exhaling while lifting is generally recommended to reduce the pressure on the abdominal walls and the chance of getting a hernia (this is what I was doing before starting now SS program). I did have two hernia operations in the past (definitely a tendency for inguinal ones) and this is why I am very concerned holding breath during lifting. The truth is that when tried squatting and holding my breath, the weight did seem easier.

So, any recommendation here? Is there a middle way perhaps, exhaling part of the air (perhaps a dumb idea, just saying).

Thanks!

Food for thought

Image didn't work in post above and editing feature is currently disabled in forums.

Wow, I wasn't aware such a table exists, thanks!

That can also explain how I got my last hernia, it was when I was running last year.

And another one with slightly different figures from a surgeon's presentation to other surgeons.

Seems jumping is the most risky activity. (Interestingly, neither table mentions "dumping" but I know one guy who popped his hernia on the toilet straining to do just that.)

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="ydwYXG0"><a href="//imgur.com/ydwYXG0">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry for the serial posts but no editing allowed.
    Posting images seems to be hit or miss today.

Indeed jumping was quite a surprise for me. Of course, we don't see what's the pressure when squatting under load but still very indicative.

Quote Originally Posted by jpanta View Post
    Indeed jumping was quite a surprise for me. Of course, we don't see what's the pressure when squatting under load but still very indicative.
    That's a good point. I don't think we have much concrete data. I haven't seen any hard numbers. We just know it is higher.

As you stated in your opening post, we want that pressure. It may have risks, but the benefit is it braces us for heavy lifts. If one can't withstand that pressure increase then I wonder if they are a good candidate for lifting heavy.

Reframing the question: Can someone at risk of a hernia lift heavy? or Can someone lift heavy without the valsalva? I think the SS answer to the valsalva is a "No".

Quote Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
    If one can't withstand that pressure increase then I wonder if they are a good candidate for lifting heavy.

Reframing the question: Can someone at risk of a hernia lift heavy? or Can someone lift heavy without the valsalva? I think the SS answer to the valsalva is a "No".
    Most inguinal hernias are congenital and would show up eventually anyway. I think what brought mine to my attention was not squats or deadlifts but the flu I had back in early June with its attendant coughing fits. When they are repaired, they are fine. In an old post, Rip stated he deadlifted 11 days post repair. And (as documented in my log) I deadlifted yesterday (15 days post repair).

An interesting question for the docs up in Q&A would be, "Are there some conditions where a person can't withstand the pressure?"

(Let me try and post the image that didn't work one more time below. I think the range of values for jumping and coughing is very enlightening.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I deadlifted yesterday (15 days post repair)
    Congrats on getting back at it!