starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee pain

2nd the knee sleeves. 2nd that I'll never squat without them. Those made all the difference for me when I started getting achy knees (also 41yo). They offer a little bit of compression but the main advantage is insulation to keep the knee ligaments warm. Ligaments don't get too much blood supply especially compared to the muscles. The knee sleeves trap the heat generated by blood flow during the set and keep the ligaments warm during the rest period between sets. A warm ligament is a happy ligament.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    2nd the knee sleeves. 2nd that I'll never squat without them. Those made all the difference for me when I started getting achy knees (also 41yo). They offer a little bit of compression but the main advantage is insulation to keep the knee ligaments warm. Ligaments don't get too much blood supply especially compared to the muscles. The knee sleeves trap the heat generated by blood flow during the set and keep the ligaments warm during the rest period between sets. A warm ligament is a happy ligament.
    3rd knee sleeves. I'm 60. I wasn't using them as I didn't really think they would help. Then Dr. Sully said you really need them in some post I read a while back. So I ordered a pair and they, well, really help. Imagine that!

Could it be as simple as getting some knee sleeves? I don't want to sound stupid but it's rare to feel discomfort while squatting, it's the next day . I haven't squatted in a week and my last three workouts were with progressively lighter weights before I just stopped. And a week later and my knees are still alittle sore. I was walking funny and sometimes getting sharp pains. I don't wanna some like a wimp cus I am not and I have to say the little bit of squatting I did got my stronger in a short time and my leg muscles did get alittle bigger fast. I think the squat could be very usefull but I know the way my knees feel is not right and I ve never had knee problems till I started squatting. But so far in this thread four people have said to just get some some knee sleeves , I don't wanna be stupid or a wimp but could it be that simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris76 View Post
    Your form needs some real help. This video is terrible, but you are way into your knees on these. I can't tell what you're doing laterally, but there's a good chance you're off that way, too.

It would be nice if I had a SS coach near by but I don't . I hoping a few more days and let my knees settle down as far as discomfort . I am thinking I am gonna start my squats all over with a form check video as often as possible . I ve been bodyweight squatting down pushing my knees out with my elbows and trying to drive up with my glutes , hamstrings. Just to try and get my form right .

Who's posting spam?

The post above mine. Brand new account created to tell you the good news about Orthofeet. Probably just a bot that searches for key words, and it caught on the thread title.

How are your knees feeling now, anyway?

starting strength coach development program
    My knees aren't that bad but not great. I don't want to be a wimp but I work as an auto mechanic and like everybody els have bills to pay. I am on my feet 9 or 10 hours a day , sometimes more. I just can't afford ruining my knees. My knees aren't that bad but I still have some medial discomfort and what feels like patellar and maybe quad tendonitis . I don't know what to do cus sometimes I do get sharp pains. I don't know what to do. Thanks for asking tho , appreciate it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast