starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee pain

Default Knee pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I ve been doing the program for six weeks now and I gotta say for the most part I feel pretty good. All my lifts are progressing. Even when I struggle alittle and I am not sure if I can go up in weight next session. I try and get a deceit nights sleep every night and I ve been trying to eat in a surplus of deceit quality foods and yea drinking my milk. Not a gallon a day but maybe alittle less than half a gallon. Anyway things are going ok except one thing I am starting to worry about. My knees have been hurting on and off . They hurt since I ve started and then the pain mostly went away. Now my knees have been bothering me for a few days. At times it can be not horrible but concerning . I have some form videos up and no one has mentioned seeing anything that could ruin my knees. I started the program squating 105lbs and in the beginning 100lbs felt heavy on my back. I ve taken one 10lb jump the rest have all been 5lb increases . Tomorrow I should be squatting 200lbs. I just worried cus one morning it hurt to put weight on my right knee but by the time I got to work the pain mostly went away. I am on my feet all day at work and I do a lot of kneeling down to set my lifts under cars working as mechanic . So being on my feet, kneeling down, walking all day, my knees have always felt healthy . I just feel like I need help figuring out what I am doing when I squat that's causeing knee pain or if it's mostly because I ve went from never really training my squat to doubling my squat weight in six weeks. I mean I know a 200lb squat isn't huge but I just started squating and I am 41 years old . I know 41 isn't old but it's not 21. At 5ft5" and just short of 160lbs I mostly feel ok when I am squatting. My knees mostly hurt after a workout or the next day. I got different shoes with flat hard soles that are basically Chuck Tailors but different brand. I am sorry for such a long winded question or maybe ever a stupid question but I need help with squat form and judging if this is stupid trying to train through ? Should I lower the weight? Or just keep my knees in line with my toes and don't let my knees go to far forward past my toes and try and train through it and see if my knees just need time to adapt to the stress. Is that stupid to try and train through this?

YouTube this was last Sunday squat weight 185lbs

Get some knee sleeves. SBD or STrong. I have STrong ones. I’ll never squat without them. Squat shoes are great too. I have heard glucosamine is helpful. I don’t have any experience with it, though. Good luck and hope they feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Chris76 View Post
    YouTube this was last Sunday squat weight 185lbs
    Sit your ass back more and bend over a bit more. Looks like you're trying to keep vertical but that won't work, hence the problematic knees (quad dominant). Don't be afraid to reach back further, you have to trust yourself. In the descent, you should feel the hamstrings and glutes stretching. Keep your back straight and strong valsalva. Don't worry about not being able to get back up because it is that stretch that will help you up.

I didn't try and knee sleeves just yet but I ve lower my squat weight and have been trying to work on my technique . Even light weights feel like there gonna fold me over if I lean over any more than what you see in the video . I have had knee issues since my second workout. The thing is it's very rear to feel any discomfort when squatting . It's the day after. With weights approaching 200lbs my knees are sore for a couple days. What I can't figure out is squatting makes my knees feel better while I am squatting. The next day my knees and I mean the knee joints not my quads or glutes or hams, calves but both upper inner parts of my knees are very sore and sometimes I get sharp pains here and there but rarely when I am squatting . Mostly it's the day after. I am worried because I can't seem to gauge it because it doesn't bother me till the next day but got worse as the weights got heaver . My last bench press was my bodyweight 3 sets of 5 reps and not really all hard . My overhead press misses some reps at 110lbs and I am useing a strict overhead press. I can do chin ups. I will say my power clean needs help but I feel pretty good doing the program. I ve got some compliments that I look good. I ve put on about 20 lbs in 8 weeks cus I was kinda skinny. My deadlift is still progressing. I just don't know what to do about my squat because I know I shouldn't have these pains in my knees the next day. Any iders what's is causeing this that I feel ok while I am squatting but the next day I am pretty much limping around ?

I ve tried lowering the weight and getting my hips back more with my knees out and driveing with my hips out of the bottom but it hasn't helped my knee issues. I am thinking about stopping squats till the discomfort goes away and then starting my squats all over.

Have you tried TUBOW? You may find your knees are tracking out over your toes too far. Or that you shoot your knees forward at the bottom.

On my videos from the side it doesn't look like a knee travel issue. I ve tried lowering the weight again and again. I even took time off. I haven't squatted in a week. My knees still are sore. They feel better but not good. I am debating takeing more time off and just waiting till my knees feel ok . Or starting my squat progression over and focus on hip drive. I never felt ( in my knees) during the squat but my knees hurt so there's a problem. I ve been watching Starting Strength videos when I have time. I think I need to use my glutes and hamstrings more. I think my consept of hip drive is off. I might try some light weighs today maybe and focus on useing my glutes and hamstrings instead of leg pressing with a barbell on my upper back. If that makes sence? I have heard some people say that durning deadlift to compair it to a squat with the bar in your hands. I know that is completely wrong for a few reasons. But if I am haveing problems with knees after squats possibly cus I am useing too much quads and it might be straining my knee tendons should I kinda sorta think of dead lifting my squats? If what I said makes any sence to anyone? I am just trying to say I think not getting in my hips enough may be my problem. Maybe.

And just to be clear I know not to try to compair a deadlift to a squat with the bar in my hands. I know that's wrong . And I only said about a que to think of dead lifting my squat only because I am probly driveing with my knees to much , maybe. I ve watched videos and did some more reading about hip drive and I am just trying to get the correct consept in my head so I can do it coccectly

starting strength coach development program
    If useing my knees too much is my problem ? How does anyone front squat or overhead squat or hight bar squat? How do olyimpic. Lifters keep healthy knees?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast