starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench press is absurdly weak, I don't feel my chest

Default Bench press is absurdly weak, I don't feel my chest

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Rip,

I finished my 2 week doing SS yesterday. I'm 5'7", at 160 lbs.
    My squat went up from 80 lbs to 135 lbs.
    My DL went up from 60 lbs to 125 lbs.
    My press went up from 35 lbs to 50 lbs.
    I'll start the Power Clean workouts tomorrow, since I hadn't quite nailed down the DL mechanics yet but now I'm a bit more confident.

However, ever since the first day I seem to be stuck at the bench press. Starting at 46 lbs, my progress has been terrible. In fact, my 2nd workout I wasn't even able to add any weight to the bar. Yesterday was my 3rd bench workout and I tried super hard to retract my shoulder blades, arch my back, take a big breath before each rep, and I was almost able to do 3 sets of 5 with 56 lbs, however I failed at the very last rep.

Even worse, I never felt my chest getting hit at any point during all of the workouts. I don't feel my chest doing anything to be honest, and at my last workout, I had my arms finally giving in to the weight during the last rep; my chest wasn't a limiting factor and I didn't feel my chest even as I was failing the rep.

Is that a technique problem? I'm worried because not only is my bench weak, but I'm not being able to put any weight at bar, so it's hard to see it improving any time soon. Should I do other exercises to improve my upper body strength or just keep benching at this weight? Maybe I should do more reps to see some progress?

Video?

Sorry, I don't have one. My next bench workout is Wednesday and I could try and ask someone to film me doing a set then.

Is it likely a technique problem? Any primary suspects, considering it's not activating the chest? Could it be grip too wide/narrow?

Unless you are neurologically compromised, somehow, when you bench press your pecs are "firing" whether you perceive them to be or not. Here's your problem:

In fact, my 2nd workout I wasn't even able to add any weight to the bar. Yesterday was my 3rd bench workout and I tried super hard to retract my shoulder blades, arch my back, take a big breath before each rep, and I was almost able to do 3 sets of 5 with 56 lbs, however I failed at the very last rep.
    You're not doing the program.

I forgot to say along with my stats, I'm 19.
    I realize I'm not doing the program, because I didn't add weight, but that's the point of the post.
    At my 2nd workout I tried moving up to 56 lbs but I quickly realized I wasn't able to lift it (I was about to fail at around the 4th rep on the first set), so I reverted back to 46 lbs. That's exactly why I'm posting here since if I can't add weight at my second workout, then I'm doing something very wrong and it's foolish to hope I'll be able to add more weight as the program goes on.

What can I do in order to be able to add more weight if I just can't lift it? Compare with squats: I'm adding weight every workout and going as deep at possible and I'm able to finish all the sets without being at the literal verge of failing. Whereas with the bench press that doesn't happen, at my last workout I used all the force that I could to lift the 56 lbs bar, I was able to complete the first two sets, but on the last I was on the verge of failing during the 3rd and 4th reps despite somehow finishing them, and sure enough during the last rep my arms were no longer able to support the bar and my spotter had to help me get it off my chest.

How can I progress if the bar already feels almost unbearable to me this early into the program? How will I be able to add more weight at my next workout if I already couldn't finish my last? I'll try anyway, but I think I'm just setting myself up for failure if I add another 10 lbs. That's why I'm concerned with not feeling my chest, if it's not "getting hit" properly then I can't expect it to be stronger for the next workout.

Quote Originally Posted by MorraVadia View Post
    I forgot to say along with my stats, I'm 19.
    I realize I'm not doing the program, because I didn't add weight, but that's the point of the post.
    At my 2nd workout I tried moving up to 56 lbs but I quickly realized I wasn't able to lift it (I was about to fail at around the 4th rep on the first set), so I reverted back to 46 lbs. That's exactly why I'm posting here since if I can't add weight at my second workout, then I'm doing something very wrong and it's foolish to hope I'll be able to add more weight as the program goes on.
    You tried to add 10 pounds to the bench press. You do not add 10 pounds to the bench press, because DTP calls for 5 pounds added to the bar in the early stages, not 10, because 10 pounds is too much weight to add to the bar.

Lookie here: Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training | The Aasgaard Company

I wrote this for you, and you will not read it. Why?

Male or female? Using SS app? Do you need a copy of SS in a language other than English?

I own the book and I'm reading it. It's true, in the Programming session you say 5 lb jumps are the norm if I correctly determined the initial strength. I thought 46 lbs was too low to be my initial strength but now I realize it probably is, so my mistake.

But, if I may ask, how can I add 5 lbs to the bar, if the smallest plate size at my gym is 5 lbs?
    I think I can buy two 2.5 lb plates and keep adding weight, but even then the book says 5 lb jumps are not sustainable for long. How will I be able to make even smaller jumps of weight if the smallest plate size I can buy are 2.5 lb (1 kg) plates (smaller plates aren't available around here)?
    Is it OK if I do a workout twice with the same weight, then on the third make a 5 lb jump? Can I do the workout once, then the second time increase the reps, then on the third make a 5 lb jump, or that's NDTP?

Quote Originally Posted by MorraVadia View Post
    But, if I may ask, how can I add 5 lbs to the bar, if the smallest plate size at my gym is 5 lbs?
    Should have done this earlier.

starting strength coach development program
    I train people in a commercial gym and the smallest weight available was 1.25 kg (2.5 lbs) and what i did is ordered smaller plates online, i got 8 x 0.25 kg wchich is around 0.5 lbs and it cost me 50 euro with delivery (i am based in ireland). Smaller plates are a must and they work perfectly well, everybody id different some people can add 5 lbs to their bench for a while and others start with 1 lbs and go even smaller later. Make sure to rest at least 5 min, i accually had a client today who only had 40 min for her workout and we reduced brakes to 3-4 min and her performance dropped down dramatically. I rest 7 min between sets and do my warmup usually 4-5 sets in my first 5 min. I think i saw a person selling partial plates on this forum if you are based in states, if not just search online.
    And rip is right don't go to crazy with the weights, your strength will increase if you will do the program properly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast