starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Power: I'ts over 5000!!!

Default Deadlift Power: I'ts over 5000!!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Long time lurker, first time poster. The first things I wanted to say was a huge thank you to coach Rip for your indispensable books and advice available here and with a quick search on the internet. I wish I had this info when I was 15 instead of 35 (I'd be a hell of a lot stronger), alas hindsight is 20/20. I'd also like to thank Jason (for making me eat more), and the rest of you forumites who have helped me silently push through to the point am I now (which isn't very far admittedly).

A very quick synopsis to ensure that Mark will not accuse me of YNDTP.

I first ditched the stupid split routine in my late 20's upon reading (blasphemy) Medhi's now obvious "Rip" off of your material. As bad as it was, it still got me under a barbell, and took me from a 170 lb. weak split trainer, to a 190 lb. slightly stronger barbell lifter. After 4-5 months I got my squat to bodyweight, and stalled/was fatigued so badly I quit.

In the ensuing years, I happened upon a post claiming how superior your program and knowledge was. I did the smart thing and read your book. Started the program anew and within a couple of months had my squat up to 230 lbs for all 3 sets across. My deadlift reached a high of 325lbs for 5, press was 100, Bench 190, and PC was 110 (need to see a coach about how to do these correctly).

Unfortunately, getting this strength exposed an inherent weakness. I had a torn rotator cuff. The doctor says it was likely caused earlier in life when I was into boxing. As sad as it was to know I'd have to start over, I had the surgery in late 2016.

After taking the necessary recovery period, and becoming increasingly disgusted with my ability to only press 2lb dumbbells overhead, I finally was released by my doctors to resume any type of training I'd like. Thank God!

I started again in the beginning of September, and eating more than I ever have in my life, I am hitting weights I never though I would (especially since I have not stalled at all yet). This has come with the caveat that my upper body lifts are very far behind (due to having to start with a 5kg kids bar). Here are my current workset weights and stats as of Tuesday:

Male 35
    5'11, 212 lbs. roughly 20% BF
    Squat 285 x5 x3
    Press 115 x5 x3
    Bench 175 x5 x3
    PC 90 x3 x5 (being extremely conservative due to form/racking on shoulder healing from surgery)
    Deadlift 345 x5 x1 !

There-in lies my biggest question. I have been using the basic Novice Linear Progression and have been doing deadlifts on every other workout AND adding 10lbs everytime. Even though my other lifts feel like they are going to stall any second (Squats feel like they are CRUSHING me), my deadlifts continue to come up with very fast bar speed (almost like power sets are described in PP). For this longwinded posts, here are my questions:

1. When should I start doing less deadlifting? Should I just lower the progression to 5lbs once I fail, or do a combinations of reduced volume, and progression?
    2. Is it normal for people to feel that such a comparatively heavy deadlift to squat is light?
    3. Upon reading the book, I have been able to get the form down pat for all the exercises save power cleans. For the life of me I can not get the weight to fly up to the rack position like in every video and description I've seen. To make this worse, my biceps tendon (where it inserts into the elbow) becomes extremely sore after them. I am screaming at myself to flex my triceps so I don't pull with my arm, but this is the same side as needed the rotator cuff surgery. I feel like my body must be compensating or something for the reduced strength in this shoulder. I have tried everything. Changing stances, having someone shout cues (jump, arms straight), jumping earlier, jumping later, touching my thighs. I would love suggestions on how to improve this.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice. I apologize for the long winded post, and thank you for taking the time to get this far.

Lift on!!!

1. Where in the book does it say that deadlift increases are always 10 pounds?

2. This is a typical SQ/DL ratio at your level.

3. Video?

It doesn't so I guess I am guilty of YNDTP. I derived this because it does say that bigger gifted men (that I am not), can start with 15 lb jumps. I started this way, and dropped it to 10 lbs. I have been able to do this every other training day to this point, and still don't feel as if I am going to have an issue anytime soon. As a novice, who obviously doesn't have the experience to determine relative effort, I am submitting myself to your guidance on how to proceed with it's progression.

One key point that you make very clear is that it's easier to not get stuck than to get unstuck. Hence my question. Should I just back it off to 5lbs. and be content with that progression from here on out? Should I back off frequency to maintain overall recovery(only once a week, or once every 5 workouts like advanced novice)? As you explicitly state the DL is very easy to over train. I enjoy it the most out of all the lifts so I do not want to fall into this predicament.

Thank you for the answer as to the ratio of SQ/DL, and I will provide a video on my next training day for PC's Sunday. I would do it for you now, but am currently 300 miles from my home gym for work. When I do these what angle would you prefer the form check from?

On a side note, will you be at the seminar in LA in January? I am doing my best to schedule work to attend. I am located in central CA so that is by far the closest and most accessible I've seen while training.