starting strength gym

Thread: Correlation between FFMI and strength

Default Correlation between FFMI and strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There are several strength standards charts on the Internet which are mostly based on bodyweight. Although, there could be a significant difference between two people with the same weight, but different muscle fiber number, they are not considered in any of these charts.

I think if we take 2 people with the same weight, one with an FFMI of 22 and another one with an FFMI of 19, and they both are capable of deadlifting the same weight with the same technique, then the latter has a higher neuromuscular efficiency.

Why isn't the above generally considered when determining whether someone is a novice or lets say an intermediate? Am I missing some important facts?

This isn't meant to be a debate, I've been just pondering about this lately, so I felt the urge to ask it.

Quote Originally Posted by confused_enthusiast View Post
    Why isn't the above generally considered when determining whether someone is a novice or lets say an intermediate? Am I missing some important facts?
    You are missing the critical thing -- strength-level doesn't determine novice v intermediate v advanced.

Yes, you are confused. SEARCH FUNCTION.

Quote Originally Posted by confused_enthusiast View Post
    Why isn't the above generally considered when determining whether someone is a novice or lets say an intermediate?
    I seriously considered checking the SVJ of my clients before training them but realized that would be pointless.

It doesn't matter, because the framework is identical.

Let's say you take a highly genetically gifted 20-year old male, test his neuromuscular efficiency and realize "holy fuck, this kid is going to do LP for like 7 straight months with no problems." You take him over to the squat rack for his first session, have him squat, press, and deadlift, and he has his starting numbers based on your coaching experience. (You should know when to call it good on their first day).

An hour later, you start a 20-year old male with shit genetics. You test his neuromuscular efficiency and seriously wonder if he is taking testosterone inhibitors. You take him over to the squat rack for his first session, have him squat, press, and deadlift, and he has his starting numbers based on your coaching experience. (You should know when to call it good on their first day).

Two months pass, and you start to notice shit-genes kid is grinding and can barely eek out his final rep every day. So you switch him to Texas Method.

Five more months pass, and you start to notice god-genes kid is grinding and can barely eek out his final rep every day. So you switch him to Texas Method.

Do you see how knowing their neuromuscular efficiency doesn't really change the coaching response much? (There are a few exceptions to this, but you'll notice throughout training them. You don't need to test for it).
    The same things happens for someone who is an intermediate, a late novice, or a true novice.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I see that explosiveness , svj , muscle fiber ratio, and how far someone will go in the novice progression being conflated all the time. Are they all synonymous though? I thought muscle fiber ratio would dictate explosiveness and svj. However how far you go wouldn't depend on that but rather your recovery ability. 2 separate abilities.

Am I wrong?

starting strength coach development program
    You're assuming god-genes don't also influence recovery-ability.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com