starting strength gym

Thread: Spondylolisthesis and powerlifting

Default Spondylolisthesis and powerlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I recently took an X-ray of the lumbar segment and it is written in the description that I have had a shallow physiological lordoosis, narrowing of the intervertebral space L5-S1 and a slight shift of the S1 shaft in relation to L5.

Does this mean that I can say goodbye to a gym with deadlifts, squats or military press? I looked at a lot of topics on other, foreign forums and most people with circularism practiced normally taking care of the technique of the exercises and managed to achieve really impressive results, and some people even got rid of the pain, so there is a chance? I am not even 20 years old.

This radiograph is not what we would call "diagnostic" for a spondylolisthesis of this minor a grade. How was it discovered? Are you symptomatic? Have you been training?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This radiograph is not what we would call "diagnostic" for a spondylolisthesis of this minor a grade. How was it discovered? Are you symptomatic? Have you been training?
    Well said, Rip. Many years ago when I had a biceps capsule injury on the job, the orthopedist I visited took an x-ray of my trunk and that was the first time I was able to confirm visually my scoliosis and a few other little nasties along the spinal column.

I asked this orthopedic surgeon, (who treated the Miami Dolphins and Miami Heat players back then), whether he felt it required either chiropractic or surgical intervention.

He asked me if it was bothering me. (I was in my early forties.) I said I've never been symptomatic. He said then go on doing what you are doing, including your weight training. (In other words, don't fix it if it ain't broke.) His one piece of advice was, however, to give up the pounding of running as he said it could cause some issues with the spurs he'd observed.

I'm mid sixties now and still at it with very few "cricks" to speak of.

In general I did little training. If it had not been for this photograph I would never have thought that I had a shallow lordosis or this spondylosisthesis.

I have some chance of training normally, or is it too serious? I suspect that it is probably 1 degree this spondylosisthesis

Here is a photo of my lumbar spine. Sorry for poor quality, but maybe someone will see something.

http://www34.zippyshare.com/scaled/ewylwy4h/file.html