starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift height

Default Deadlift height

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is there an issue with starting the deadlift from a lower height than standard olympic plates? I have realized my plates are about 2" smaller diameter than standard plates. Is there any inherent risk to this? I am about 5'10 if that matters. I haven't had any issues thus far and have progressed decently.

I have progressed enough to where I need to buy new plates so I am not sure if I can just buy the same plates or if I need to start from scratch and buy the standard size diameter plates.

Thank you

-wannbeswole

If you really wanna be swole, you can get that way using non-standard plates. Sure. Obviously.

Why not just buy bigger plates now that you need them? Are the plates smaller because you have a 1 inch bar and the plates have a 1 inch inner diameter? I ask because I had one of these and had to decide whether to buy more plates for it or invest in an Olympic bar. I'm glad I did the latter. Maybe this isn't your situation though.

While I don't think a 1 inch bar would be an issue for squats, presses, bench, and maybe deadlifts (with blocks to correct the height), I personally would recommend a proper bar and plates instead of throwing good money after bad and buying more 1 inch plates. You'll want to do cleans and snatches eventually and will wish you had a bar that spins, can fit bumpers, and always starts from the right height.

Rogue has a few good bars for $200-$300. Plates and bumpers are pretty reasonable on amazon. Also see Rip's chapter in SS on equipment. Wish I had read this before making some of my own purchases.

You don’t need to buy a whole new set of plates. If you buy two standard size 45s, you can put them on first and add tinier plates next. Puts the bar at the right height.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeswole View Post
    Is there an issue with starting the deadlift from a lower height than standard olympic plates? I have realized my plates are about 2" smaller diameter than standard plates. Is there any inherent risk to this? I am about 5'10 if that matters. I haven't had any issues thus far and have progressed decently.

I have progressed enough to where I need to buy new plates so I am not sure if I can just buy the same plates or if I need to start from scratch and buy the standard size diameter plates.

Thank you

-wannbeswole
    Why not make two mini jerk blocks with some 2x4's layed together with a bit of plywood over the tops?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeswole View Post

Thank you

-wannbeswole
    Shove some wood under the plates until you buy Olympic plates.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com