starting strength gym

Thread: genetics or culture?

Default genetics or culture?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I wasted 40k on a liberal arts degree, now work in engineering/surveying, but still have an interest in social sciences. I am aware of the fact that China currently has an impressive weightlifting team. This surprises me because I would think the USA would have better lifters (very biased opinion of course) I say that because we usually medal more athletes in olympics and generally have better sports teams and leagues than China, or any nation for that matter. So why are they better? Is it becasue they have a larger pool to choose from? Better coaching, more emphasis on success in sport culturally?

Another question related to genetics. You have stated a higher SVJ is usually correlated with more recruitment of muscle thus a stronger lifter, or at least potential for a stronger lifter. I may be wrong, but it is my presumption that at elite levels, blacks (of west african heritage) have the highest SVJ -generalization but true in the aggregate. If thats the case, why dont we see more blacks in strongman comps, powerlifting, weightlifting? I see the biggest strongest guys usually from nordic and eastern european (white) nations, like magnus and thor......Is it just a cultural emphasis on specific sport that allows an environment for success? or are these people genetically predisposed for success in strength sport?

Do you think strength is more a SKILL aquired through hard, smart work over time, or an ABILITY that certain types of people are more genetically favored too? (For this discussion it is necessary to overgeneralize knowing that individuals can always be the exception.)

thanks for your time, i respect your work.

Cole

You might enjoy The Sports Gene if you haven't read it already.

Also, a bit of google work will turn up Rip's thoughts on many of the questions you asked here.

The Sports Gene is great (there are also some youtube vids about some parts of the book out there); and this is probably the most detailed and thorough answer to your specific question about why the US sucks at weightlifting: Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: Part 1 : Bodyrecomposition

Our culture doesn't take advantage of the genetics in a way that would produce the best crop of weightlifters. We probably have more people, on average than China for weightlifting, but they get more total numbers of people being run through their system, so they find more of their best possible candidates. Ours are probably playing football or something instead.

On a per capita basis, the US is about the middle of the pack for gold medalists.

starting strength coach development program
    There is very little allure to being an Olympian within the United States. The "best" genetics will be pushed into football, basketball, or baseball.

China on the other hand provides ample incentive for potential Olympic athletes.