starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS and middle age lifters

Default SS and middle age lifters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just ordered the SS book so won't get it for a week or so but started the program about 2 weeks ago. Not sure if the books answers this but here goes.

There are many articles, podcast, you name it on strength training for young lifters who have many years ahead of them or older lifters ( 50 and above) either starting out or that have been lifting for many years.

And also many for either skinny people looking to put on weight or take weight off.

But I have not found a lot of literature on people in my situation, which I would think would be a large number of.

And that is middle age (35-50) years old, not skinny or fat (skinny fat), 17-22 percent body fat and WEAK!

Where do we start? What is our progression gonna look like? What is our diet going to look like? What can we expect to get out of a strength program?

I was told by a few people to just focus on high rep low weights as I would not benefit from heavy low reps due to my age and that my window for building muscle and strength is closing fast. Is this true??

BTW I'm 6"3 185 pounds and 40 years old ex runner with little strength. I'm just not sure where to start. Cut, bulk, maintenance? And will my strength come as quickly as a younger starting lifter.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also would love to get a SS coach but unfortunatly there is nothing close up here in Atlantic Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Bewm. Done.

Also, try Starting Strength Online Coaching.

Semi-related: is SSOC a part of Aasgard or is it its own company?

I can't believe how little money SSOC charges per month. How did you guys land at $200/month? I understand if you don't want to answer that question.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

To the OP, get the book. It's well worth the investment (as are BBST and PPST).

I am also near your dimensions, but a few years older. Do not cut, and DTP. I'd wager you can still get a decent novice LP run before moving to intermediate programming. I wish I had started at 40 (vice 46), and think I would have seen better results, so get to it!

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    To the OP, get the book. It's well worth the investment (as are BBST and PPST).

I am also near your dimensions, but a few years older. Do not cut, and DTP. I'd wager you can still get a decent novice LP run before moving to intermediate programming. I wish I had started at 40 (vice 46), and think I would have seen better results, so get to it!
    I was under the impression that BBP was really a primer for why strength training is good for us oldsters rather than a specific training manual ?

I've held of getting it and also the more training oriented book. I've got the starting strength one which seemed comprehensive enough to start with. I would also like some more age specific advice -if BBP is that kind of manual I will buy it. Anyone confirm ?

As to the OP. I'm 57, weak as Olive Oil and also an ex runner. I started lifting 3 times a week and could hardly lift the bar on some of the exercises. I tried to squat 66lbs (the bar plus 2x little 10lb weights), hit 5 and thought my legs had broken-couldn't walk properly for a week, never mind make it down the gym for another torture session. 7 weeks later I'm squatting 125 lbs comfortable 3 X 5.
    I'm getting stronger every week only pushing my own records. It's made a difference in my life, even walking my legs are stronger (I'm a regular walker anyway, so it was a surprise to me to find that strength training could do anything to make me better at it). I also helped the neighbour up the stairs with a large cabinet which I know I couldn't have done prior to starting.

What SS doesn't really push is the effect on the mind-it gets stronger as the body gets stronger and you get back confidence to do things you might have done in your twenties. I was personally feeling like I was nearing the point when I had to accept that things weren't getting better and that made me a bit depressed, but now, hey I'm not dead and I can do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I was under the impression that BBP was really a primer for why strength training is good for us oldsters rather than a specific training manual ?

I've held of getting it and also the more training oriented book. I've got the starting strength one which seemed comprehensive enough to start with. I would also like some more age specific advice -if BBP is that kind of manual I will buy it. Anyone confirm ?
    Absolutely get BB Prescription. It's loaded with detailed information on programming for us older guys. You will not be disappointed.

-RJP

Default Voluntary Hardship

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post

What SS doesn't really push is the effect on the mind-it gets stronger as the body gets stronger and you get back confidence to do things you might have done in your twenties.
    I would agree that the book (SS) doesn't address this extremely important topic... nor should it (IMHO). The book is already incredibly densely packed attacking its intended topics without being inordinately long. That's where the forum comes in handy. Barbell Logic podcast comes to mind right away. Voluntary Hardship is addressed in episode 23.

We all need this amazing benefit of doing the program. Learning to work hard at something....

The book BBP is an awesome book including all the programing. I have SS, PPST and BB all three are worth your reading and for your garage library.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Absolutely get BB Prescription. It's loaded with detailed information on programming for us older guys. You will not be disappointed.

-RJP
    That's great. Shall get it downloaded. Every thing I've read points to it not being that-perhaps it needs to be made clearer on the front cover that it does actually have programming.

starting strength coach development program
    My perspective (72 yrs old, 6' 4", lifting since October, 2016), weight 191 at start, 227 today.

I support the desire to do your homework and understand programming. IMO, just do the SS program to get stronger. Learn the techniques, easiest done with SSC coaching. Eat, sleep, train.

While working through the SSNLP, do your reading (and re-reading). Things that you missed or failed to learn the first time through will be more apparent with some lifting experience.

Until you've exhausted the benefits of the beginner LP, different programming (for most people) isn't needed. I heartily endorse Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and The Barbell Prescription. Together, they help build a knowledge base.
    Last edited by Bill Puckett; 12-08-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast