starting strength gym

Thread: Back extensions and my lower back

Default Back extensions and my lower back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, I have been doing ss for a little while and I now realize I have been doing it wrong. I am 5ft11in 235 lbs recently I have been tweaking my back, once, then twice, and now I think I have a recovery issue possibly due to deadlifting to much. I still deadlift every other workout even though I do 335 for 5 and can pull a beltless single of 405 without looking like an angry cat. Also squatting 275x5 and power cleaning 165x3 I know ss says to incorporate chin ups and back extensions in such a way that you only pull every fifth workout, I am rereading starting strength to get more informed. My issue is that there is no back extension station at my gym. Is there another excercises I can do that is nearly or just as good?

If your back is injured, stop doing both situps and back extensions. Look it up on these forums.

You've had a rough go at this man. It took you a 15# bodyweight increase to add 30# to your working sets of squats?

Well i was stuck at 235 on squats at 235bw, figured out that focusing on form, like breaking at the hips and knees simultaneously, helped tremendously, also started using a belt. My question is, do you think that my repeated back tweaks are possibly caused by deadlifting/ power cleaning to frequently? I deadlift what I consider heavy 1-2 times per week, although I know at a certain point I was supposed to do so only every fifth workout or so. Love to get thoughts on this

I could not judge when is it ok to decrease DL/PC frequency myself. Which may or may not led to my back pain.

You may be a candidate for 1 heavy pull/week given your numbers. Do them on monday, chins on wednesday, PC's on friday and see how it goes.

Regarding back extensions, they are probably not as important, especially when you do wiggle your spine much. I do them but I keep my back locked in isometric contraction and I just bounce off my hamstrings and glutes. I also pause at the top which gives me a nice pump in lower back which may or may not be useful / meaningful but it's a nice feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw777 View Post
    My issue is that there is no back extension station at my gym. Is there another excercises I can do that is nearly or just as good?
    Then don't do back extensions and just do chins. Not worth worrying about them.

Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    I could not judge when is it ok to decrease DL/PC frequency myself. Which may or may not led to my back pain.
    Just for posterity and not directed at you, Mr. whale. Never stop deadlifting, even if it hurts. At worst, you'll do your first warmup weight for sets across with perfect form. Drop PCs if they make your back hurt. They're not worth it at 115lb for sets across anyway and they are tough on the aching back.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    Just for posterity and not directed at you, Mr. whale. Never stop deadlifting, even if it hurts. At worst, you'll do your first warmup weight for sets across with perfect form. Drop PCs if they make your back hurt. They're not worth it at 115lb for sets across anyway and they are tough on the aching back.
    The cleans may very well be the cause of my pain (possibly a form issue). The pain was progressively getting worse on deadlift so I had to avoid it. This is one more thing I misunderstood regarding injury advice. If it's getting worse, don't train through it in general.