starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower back pain while sitting

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If it were me, I would attempt a lighter session with really close attention to implementing the cues...especially make sure to not overextend and to keep the stance narrower. We're just training the movement at this point...we can worry about getting back to linear progression later. See how it feels after a light couple of sets. If you continue to improve over the next day, we've found the issue. If it gets worse AND your form isn't jacked up (we'll need video to confirm this), then we may have to look at other possibilities.

The fact that your pain is improving after not lifting suggests that improper lifting may have caused it, but as always, we can't really diagnose over the internet. So take my recommendation as a best guess based on the circumstances.

Great news; pain has greatly subsided. I took the time off to re-read the squat/bench section of the book. I didn't follow your advice to go light, because both the squat/deadlift felt too easy below what I filmed myself with.

As far as my own observations go:
    Deadlift:
    1. Stand a bit more upright when I go up when deadlifting
    2. Squeeze my chest a little bit higher

Squat:
    1. I'm going a little bit too deep, possibly.
    2. Not convinced by my back angle.
    3. My wrists still aren't straight.

Squat: YouTube
    Deadlift: YouTube

Once again, big thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    If it were me, I would attempt a lighter session with really close attention to implementing the cues...especially make sure to not overextend and to keep the stance narrower. We're just training the movement at this point...we can worry about getting back to linear progression later. See how it feels after a light couple of sets. If you continue to improve over the next day, we've found the issue. If it gets worse AND your form isn't jacked up (we'll need video to confirm this), then we may have to look at other possibilities.

The fact that your pain is improving after not lifting suggests that improper lifting may have caused it, but as always, we can't really diagnose over the internet. So take my recommendation as a best guess based on the circumstances.
    Quick update: not much of an idea what caused the pain. My back looks good but I discovered I have spina bifida, which doesn't seem like a dangerous thing at all and just a normal variant according to a quick forum search.

Was also told my back is "too straight", slightly less arched than usual. Strange.

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Landfall View Post
    I discovered I have spina bifida, which doesn't seem like a dangerous thing at all and just a normal variant according to a quick forum search.
    How did you discover this? Was it actually diagnosed by a medical professional, or is this a WebMD diagnosis? I ask because SB is most decidedly not a "normal variant," and can cause significant challenges with long-term training.

Consigliere

For the squat, you are right, you are going too deep. Cut these off about an inch to an inch and a half higher, and also focus on a much harder abdominal contraction...I still see some indication of overextension.

You also are correct that you're still too upright. Think about pointing your nipples to the ground early on the descent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    How did you discover this? Was it actually diagnosed by a medical professional, or is this a WebMD diagnosis? I ask because SB is most decidedly not a "normal variant," and can cause significant challenges with long-term training.
    I took an X-ray of my back, and my orthopedic told me about it. How bad is it?

Here's where I found it sb occulta

Consigliere

I took an X-ray of my back, and my orthopedic told me about it. How bad is it?

Here's where I found it sb occulta
    Spina bifida, like a lot of conditions, has a range of presentations which range from "not much" to debilitating. Here's some interesting reading on it:

Facts | Spina Bifida | NCBDDD | CDC

FWIW, one of Nick Racculia's interns has a particularly bad presentation of spina bifida...his training usually goes in spurts, because he goes through weeks of significant pain where he can't lift heavy. Dude's actually quite a badass when you look at what he deals with.

I've went to my orthopedic for a clarification - she said that as long as I do a proper warmup (I'll take inspiration from the one in the book) it should've be an issue.

Deadlifts are also in the clear - I did some half-assed unsatisfactory squats yesterday, but not deadlifts. The pain came up briefly, but now it's gone. My current train of thought is that my squat form being bad is the cause, considering that I've never felt anything bad with my back.

Another thing I forgot to note (maybe training will fix it?) is that she told me I'm missing a little bit of lordosis, as my back is seemingly straighter than what's supposed to be the norm. Would that affect training?

Consigliere

Another thing I forgot to note (maybe training will fix it?) is that she told me I'm missing a little bit of lordosis, as my back is seemingly straighter than what's supposed to be the norm. Would that affect training?
    If it's only "a little bit," I doubt it. If anything, it'll make it harder for you to overextend, which is a good thing. But YMMV.

starting strength coach development program
    I have a severe back pain for almost 1 week now because I work home base so that's why I am sitting for 9 hours a day. Then upon checking the internet, i saw this article What makes cannabis so great? that CBD oil can help me to ease my pain. And as i can see it really helps me a lot,i did not put too much oil on my back but after 2 days i feel ok and comfortable again. Maybe this thing will help you also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast