starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower back pain while sitting

Default Lower back pain while sitting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ever since last Tuesday I've gotten some uncomfortable back pain while sitting. Was at it's worst on Friday and been getting better since. Went to an orthopedic and she told me to get an X-ray because she couldn't find anything wrong.

I also felt it when I did some air squats because my form isn't satisfactory yet. It's only when I'm sitting - much better when standing/walking.

I'm looking for a second opinion from Doctor Rip. Not sure what's the real culprit. Is my deadlift (annoying gym music warning) horrible? My posture? I'd rather not make blind guesses on stuff I don't know.

Thanks, Rip.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

The deadlift has a lot of issues, but I don't think that's the culprit. Send a video of your squat...I'll see if my instinct is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    The deadlift has a lot of issues, but I don't think that's the culprit. Send a video of your squat...I'll see if my instinct is right.
    There you go. Watch out for annoying gym music.

Can't edit my post, but you did give me criticism over here M / 23 / 5'3 / 148lbs, squat, bench and deadlift so maybe that's what you're thinking about. I'm working on it and I promise my next squat form check will make you proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Landfall View Post
    Can't edit my post, but you did give me criticism over here M / 23 / 5'3 / 148lbs, squat, bench and deadlift so maybe that's what you're thinking about. I'm working on it and I promise my next squat form check will make you proud.
    Immediately I see a few things: 1) pain with sitting with fairly acute onset normally indicates SI Joint pain. 2) there is no reason you need a radiograph of your back 3) you need to stop getting the bar off the pins using a staggered stance right now. 4) your squat stance is drastically too wide and it gives you poor control of your pelvis at the bottom.

Consigliere

There you go. Watch out for annoying gym music.
    Watch what happens as you first drive out of the hole. You see how your back is extended at the bottom, and then it suddenly becomes even more extended as you first push out of the hole? I'm not physically there, so all caveats apply--but I strongly suspect you're overextending on the way up. That can often lead to sudden and acute back pain, especially when subjecting your spine to greater compression (like sitting).

That said, Will's on to something here given that the pain only appears to show up when you sit, but it isn't really there when you stand. So the stance width fix I gave you in the prior thread may take care of the problem on its own.

So fixing my squat should make the problem go away? Will see how it goes.

I'm worried it's getting worse.

The biggest culprit seems to be sitting, but even when standing/walking I can feel some pain and have spasms, although much less.

I'm just getting paranoid now. Should I squat as usual?

Consigliere

I'm worried it's getting worse.

The biggest culprit seems to be sitting, but even when standing/walking I can feel some pain and have spasms, although much less.

I'm just getting paranoid now. Should I squat as usual?
    Did you lift yesterday, or is it getting worse on its own?

starting strength coach development program
    Didn't lift at all. I did some air squats, if it matters.

It's much more better today, but it's still there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast