starting strength gym

Thread: Have you ever seen anyone like this?

Default Have you ever seen anyone like this?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark. I am 25 years old and I’ve been training for 8 years now. I started with SS, then got into bodybuilding and then powerlifting...and these days I just do a mixed training style.

I’ve been suffering from very bad shoulder and elbow pain on the right side of my body for the past 3 years. Recently it has gotten so bad that I’ve stopped training completely. Was diagnosed with supraspinatus tendonosis (Tendonosis = damage to tendon from repetitive trauma) . Have not had a scan of the elbow yet - but I suspect something similar as the pain has been chronic and only getting worse.

A number of years ago I noticed that I was uneven on some of the movements. Did not think much of it. Just kept training with the best form possible. Then...the elbow/shoulder pain started and I started seeking help. What I noticed was that during all my movements, be it bench press, shoulder press, barbell row, barbell curl..whatever...the right side of the barbell would ALWAYS be more forward than the left. In the video posted below, it gives the illusion that my left side is lower, but in reality it’s more back than the right. So I am basically twisted.

I’ve been to many Chiros/Physios, deloaded, worked on mobility, scapula work/rhythm, you name it and I was crooked. Pressing the empty bar, or 300lbs, same shit. Had some X-rays of my spine and it was discovered that I have a 7 degree scoliosis in the lumbar region. Went to an orthopaedic surgeon and was told anything under 10 degrees is considered normal and that the scoliosis is not the problem. After doing some research, I discovered that scoliosis contains both a lateral curvature AND a rotation of the spine. So although my lateral curvature seems to be within the normal range, I suspect that for whatever reason my spine itself is rotated.

Now my question for you is that:

1. Do you agree with my hypothesis that the reason I press twisted is that my spine itself is rotated? When the spine is twisted it takes the ribs..pelvis..and shoulder for the ride with it. If not..what else could be the probable cause?

2. Assuming that my spine is rotated...do you believe that the shoulder and elbow problem that I have on the right side is because when I press/row/etc the barbell is more forward on that side?

3. Any general advice for someone in my situation?

i absolutely love lifting. Been doing it since I was 17. I can barely lift now and seeing my body deteriorate in front of my eyes is depressing.

Videos for a few lifts:

You’ll notice the same pattern for them all. Right side of bar forward, left side back.

Shoulder press at home with 30lbs - IMG 2896 - YouTube

Bench press 2 years ago - YouTube

lat pull down 2 years ago - YouTube

Yes, I've seen several people like this. Here:Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training | The Aasgaard Company

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, I've seen several people like this. Here:Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training | The Aasgaard Company
    Thanks for the quick response.

Is this something that you see impact the performance or incrase risk of injury in lifters?

Have you read the book? The one I linked to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you read the book? The one I linked to?
    " I started with SS"

Tsk Tsk, Rip. He already STARTED with SS. Of course he's read the book, done the program properly and followed it to a T.

I did start with SS. I built my foundation from the main lifts by using correct technique. I understand why you might think otherwise though due to my lifts in the video. For a few years I was a competitive bodybuilder, hence my lifting technique was different from SS. E.g. my bench I am flaring my elbows and using partial rom to keep constant tension on the chest and to emphaize the chest over the delts and triceps.

Either way - Thanks for the advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey man go see a starting strength coach. Check out the directory for locations. They should be able to help you out with your tendnosis and your technique. Read the book and get some in person coaching are your best bets