starting strength gym

Thread: Re. Power Clean

Default Re. Power Clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I hope to start the SS program soon. I am over 40 and although I am ok in the power clean, I am not 100% sure about my technique. Do you suggest an alternate exercise or should I still try power clean?

Try really hard to learn how to clean. They're pretty fun. If you can't do them without hurting your wrists or elbows and/or the weights are a quarter of your deadlift and won't go above that, maybe do something else.

Post up a form check video. The feedback should give you a clear idea as to whether or not PCs are worth developing.

Thanks. It is higher than quarter of my DL. Thanks again for the motivation will try to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SRA View Post
    Thanks. It is higher than quarter of my DL.
    So is your bicep curl. If you said it was over half your DL, we'd have something to talk about. At 40, you really have to contemplate whether there's enough reward to compensate you for the time spent learning the power clean. I tend to gravitate towards the side of "no," unless you just really like doing them. How many chin-ups can you do in an unbroken set?

adam, can you tell me what information his chinup numbers give you about wether or not cleans are worthwhile to him?

i'm not challenging you or anything, I'd just really like to know. Are chins limited by power at all? do they indicate anything about a trainees genetically-determined potential for explosive force production?

I’d say it’s more to gauge if chins would be a useful lighter pulling movement to alternate with deadlifts than in any relation to power production.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    adam, can you tell me what information his chinup numbers give you about wether or not cleans are worthwhile to him?

i'm not challenging you or anything, I'd just really like to know. Are chins limited by power at all? do they indicate anything about a trainees genetically-determined potential for explosive force production?
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I’d say it’s more to gauge if chins would be a useful lighter pulling movement to alternate with deadlifts than in any relation to power production.
    Yeah, what Satch said.