starting strength gym

Thread: Abdominal strain prevention with deadlift

Default Abdominal strain prevention with deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There are a few other threads about this but I didn't see any advice on what the cause is or how to prevent in the future.

I'm 6'2", 205lbs. I have been training for about 2 years. I was deadlifting at 315. On set 3, rep 3 I felt a "pop" in my left side below my pectoral. Stopped, went home. Applying ice.

I'm trying to understand why this happened and how to prevent in the future. I am using the Valsalva Maneuver on each rep, and even now if I try to push my belly out and brace my core is when I feel the pain the most. Is this the result of an underdeveloped core? A lack of mobility in my abs? Or just shit luck? I don't have any video/pics of my form but I do my best to maintain good form. My feet at shoulder width apart, toes flared out a little bit, I take the slack out of the bar before lifting, shoulders back, pull chest up through the lift. (at least this is what I believe I'm doing)

The only variable here is that my grip was failing by the third set so I went with mixed grip. My left hand was supinated, and this happens to be the side the injury is on.

I do have a lifting belt but was not wearing it as I haven't had any lower back issues. 315lbs is the most weight I've ever pulled at deadlift.

What about my form should I be more mindful of that would put strain on my abs like this? How should I correct in the future?

Just wanted to clarify:

> I felt a "pop" in my left side below my pectoral

Not underneath, about 2 - 3 inches below my left pec. I originally thought I did something to my rib but I suspect it is ab related. Pushing on it is not painful. If I brace my core I get pain.

Quote Originally Posted by bcardarella View Post
    Just wanted to clarify:

> I felt a "pop" in my left side below my pectoral

Not underneath, about 2 - 3 inches below my left pec. I originally thought I did something to my rib but I suspect it is ab related. Pushing on it is not painful. If I brace my core I get pain.
    Audible pop usually means your intercostal cartilage. It could be your abs, but it doesn't sound like it. As to what caused it? No idea.

Sounds like it may just be your serratus getting worked. I sometimes get that tearing/burning feeling, and then when I do chins I can definitely tell it was the serratus when my arms fully extend.