starting strength gym

Thread: Neck pain and tight traps

Default Neck pain and tight traps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

The area around my C7 vertebrae has been pretty sensitive (especially to touch) lately. The first thing I experienced was that an exaggerated shrug causes minor discomfort/"pain" in that area. A few days later I was genuinely shocked to notice that my neck and trap area feels tighter and I have less range of motion. I also felt a subtle discomfort in my left infraspinatus, but it has subsided by now. Even basic things as running and arm swings don't feel as "right" as usually.

I don't know what caused this and how I should address this issue. Do you think it would be ok to continue my linear progression and wait till it gets better?

form checkerino

all the lifts

all of 'em

do it

Most likely trigger points scattered about. Use a lacrosse ball for *hard* massages of all the muscles...anything that hurts when you press on it is a likely trigger point.

You *have* to determine what is triggering the issue and then stop doing that. You can continue training, but you can't continue training without trying to fix the cause of this problem. You could be bothering the nerve in the neck. Usual causes of that are excessive and jerky head movements during any of the lifts, but especially the press and chins; driving your head into the bench while bench pressing, or excessively lifting your head during squats or deadlift. Make sure you're not doing any of that. Get some video of each of the lifts and get a qualified person to look over them.