starting strength gym

Thread: vertical jump and bodyweight

Default vertical jump and bodyweight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If I am 220 pounds (at 5'8) and I lose 45 or so pounds while maintaining my squat, deadlift, and power clean numbers, will my standing vertical meaningfully increase (like 4-5 inches)? The things Rip has said are kind of unclear about this. He says that significant weight loss is the only thing that can increase vertical jump apart from the modest increases that come with gains on squat/pc, but I don't know if he means significant as in morbidly obese people losing hundreds of pounds or significant like the 45 pounds i have available to discard.

can anyone speak from experience on this? How much has your vertical changed since you've leaned out?

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    If I am 220 pounds (at 5'8) and I lose 45 or so pounds while maintaining my squat, deadlift, and power clean numbers, will my standing vertical meaningfully increase (like 4-5 inches)? The things Rip has said are kind of unclear about this. He says that significant weight loss is the only thing that can increase vertical jump apart from the modest increases that come with gains on squat/pc, but I don't know if he means significant as in morbidly obese people losing hundreds of pounds or significant like the 45 pounds i have available to discard.

can anyone speak from experience on this? How much has your vertical changed since you've leaned out?
    post #12, if it doesn't link right:
    Vertical jump vs. weight | Physics Forums

I think his formula's assume the athlete stays at the same strength level, but loses 10 lbs (of fat assuming).

I do not know if this is right, not a physics/math expert.

Thanks, fulcrum. it would be swell if that fellow were right