starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back injury....need advice

Default Lower back injury....need advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Finished up LP late March...44 yo...got two weeks into a HLM program and injured myself on 4/12 doing 4x5 BS at 75% of 1RM. Didn’t feel heavy nor was there a sharp pain. It felt like a dull pain in my lower back, left side an inch or two off center at about waist level. I finished the squats then did 3 sets of a DL...all wearing a belt. By the time I was cooled off I had a hard time even standing up, much less re racking a 45 lb plate. Couldn’t reach my left shoe, it felt like that side of my back just locked up. I slept like crap but the next day it felt less locked up and I got a little mobility back. There has never been any shooting pains so feeling is that it is not a vertebrae.

So I’ve read just about everything I could find here. Rested a couple days, tried the Starr protocol which just seemed to piss it off again. Rested it a couple more days. Tried slowly adding weight, but inevitably it kept sneaking back in a workout after a couple sets. It is most pronounced if I am setting up for a DL and reach down to grab the bar.

So any idea what it could be and recommendation as whether to just either:
    1) retry Starr protocol
    2) just restart LP for the BS and DL, 50-60% of 1RM and stop as soon as I feel it tightening up
    3) or just leave it the frick alone for a week or two???

What about stretching/mobility and/or heat or ice?

Side note, I saw a SS coach about two months ago for a form check and he pointed out that I wasn’t putting my lower back in extension enough during a BS. Could it possible that I injured it with too much back extension, especially if I went too deep? I know it’s a guess....but I’d really like to avoid this from happening again (obviously).

Sorry for the long post...just pissed off. I know this is part of the road...just looking for some sage recovery advice.

Thanks!

The Starr protocol is for muscle belly tears, not disc injuries. I don't know which you have, but it sounds more like a disc injury. I found stretching to be one of the worst things you can do when you have an active disc injury. Generally it is better to continue training, at loads that don't make it worse. Sometimes that isn't possible right away. There is no simple formula to follow for rehabbing this stuff. I'd try doing your DLs off pins for now where you can do your setup without aggravating the injury. Don't be in a big rush to increase the weights quickly and re-injure it, but also, don't do the opposite and think the best thing you can do is absolutely nothing. You have to walk the tightrope between staying active to facilitate it healing quickly and correctly, without going too far and re-injuring it. Basically, if doing X is uncomfortable, but doesn't make it any worse afterwards, then it is good. If it results in your back locking up or being in pain the next few hours then you need to find some alternative. I wouldn't do any of your 3 options. I would just go in, try to find load and ROM I can do without making it worse and train with that. If that training didn't make it any worse, then *slowly* increase the loads and ROM over time. Most people rush that part and end up re-injuring it.

Thanks Mugaaz!

I was having a bit of trouble with my back, bought one of those electrical stim things.. seems to have helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    I was having a bit of trouble with my back, bought one of those electrical stim things.. seems to have helped a lot.
    101% placebo.

Just an update....I’ve been gradually putting weight back on the bar for BS and DL and it has been going well. Basically restarted LP with small jumps.

Until last workout, last rep of set of 5 DL at 255 when I distinctly felt the pain again. Luckily, 3 days later it feels way better then the first time I hurt it. Definitely something spinal.

How many out there DL barefoot? Reason I ask is that I have been using my squat shoes to DL and wonder if that is contributing. I’m 6’5” with tight hamstrings...so that extra deficit with the shoes makes it easier for me to accidentally lift with a slightly rounded lower back. At least that’s my current thinking. Maybe it’s a factor.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 6'4, I've deadlifted in both flats and a heeled shoe. Heeled shoe throws me forward a bit, and getting thrown forward could put you at risk. However, the heel height is just not a significant factor in rounding vs not rounding. If you're lifting with a rounded back, *you* need to fix it. By all means, switch to flat shoes if you want, but I really doubt your shoes are the cause of rounding. I'm not arguing there is no difference, but the difference is minimal.