starting strength gym

Thread: Scoliosis and training

Default Scoliosis and training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,

Had a question that you might be able to shed some light on regarding pelvic asymmetry due to scoliosis. Not looking for medical advice, I've been checked out by a spine surgeon and multiple PTs that gave the greenlight to lift whatever I want, just looking for training advice.

The problem is most apparent when the weights get (relatively) heavier it leads to SI joint pain. Hip area in general feels a little wonky after a big squat or deadlift day. As the weights go up I'm worried about exacerbating the issue more than is necessary. I know I'll probably never lift 100% pain free (at least in this area), but if you have any prior experience with trainees with scoliosis, or any general thoughts, they would be extremely helpful.

Attached a picture, you can see there's a bit of a crank in the lumbar spine. My legs are the same length, but when standing my pelvis is at a bit of an angle. Should I shim my shoe to get the pelvis at the correct angle, but then have uneven legs? Or just lift as normal? Any programming modifications?

jK1Xxks.jpg

Thanks.

Someone feel free to straighten me out on this (ha...scoliosis...straighten out..) but I believe the main concern is having your pelvis parallel with the ground as you lift as if it is tilted you are likely loading your spine and your pelvis in an unsafe position. It's interesting that you don't have a leg length discrepancy also. I have scoliosis and have issues with my pelvis not being level AND one leg is shorter than the other.

Anyways seems like an interesting question and hopefully some coaches or people with more experience on the matter can help you out.