starting strength gym

Thread: Help

Default Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, my name is Juan Sebastian Pineda Herrera, I'm 17 years old, and I'm from Guatemala.

I have been training for 2 years, but have never accomplished my goal. Right now I'm between 16-18% Body Fat.

Well, I think I'm going crazy, I'm always searching information about what to do, always try to do my best but never have the results I want.

All I want is to be big, strong (like a powerlifter), and be aesthetic (have abs). So, I don't know if i should do something like SS or SL, do a cut first, or just do first a more BB style routine.

Also, I don't know how much i should eat. I already read the sticky in the nutrition forum but i would like you to tell me your opinion about how many calories i should eat.

17 years old.
    172 cm.
    157-158 lbs (Im taking creatine)
    Waist: 80-83 cm

Pictures: (just erase the space)

imgur. com/HsLrVzP
    imgur .com/DODxANH
    imgur .com/wWaTlgO

Lifts (Pounds)
    Bench: 140*3*5
    Squat: 205*3*5
    Deadlift: 205-240*3*5

Months ago I was cutting, but I saw a video of a guy saying that a 17 years old boy shouldn't cut.

I hope you can help me.

Juan,

I’m sorry that you are finding conflicting information. I still, sometimes, find it hard to figure out who’s right and who’s wrong in details about fitness. So I can sympathize with your confusion. I'll give you the best arguments I have as to why the SS method is the best.

If this helps, this is Robert Santana. Robert is a SS coach and registered dietitian who runs the nutrition board. As you can see, Robert has a great physique which is a result of strength training and proper diet. Robert ran the novice linear progression himself. He also squats over 400 lbs and deadlifts 500 lbs. So I think it’s safe to say that the SS novice program is appropriate. Stronglifts is honestly just a poor imitation of SS.

As for nutrition, you need to bulk. The popular opinion on the internet is to cut down to 10% body fat and bulk from there, but there’s a problem with this thought process when an individual is already small. That individual doesn’t have fat to lose. On top of that, you can decrease your bodyfat percentage by increasing your lean body mass. So, it’s possible for you to gain weight while decreasing your body fat percentage which is what you as a skinny teenager should be doing.

This is a podcast from three coaches who train people to be IFBB stage ready. If you listen to the podcast, you will note that they agree with me in a lot of ways. "Look at the big picture."

Mike Matthews is also a fan of SS and has had Mark Rippetoe on his podcast.

Start with 2700 calories. Eat at least 160 grams of protein. Try to not get over 90 grams of fat. For the rest of your calories, fill it in with lots of carbs and some protein if you want. Try to also get 30-40 grams of fiber. Track all your nutrition, bodyweight, and waist circumference. After two weeks, post your starting info and current info in a thread on the nutrition board. Include your gender, age, and height. Title it “Novice Nutrition Check”. Robert will suggest a modification to your diet if he feels you need to change it. Follow what Robert says, and in another 4-6 weeks, post another nutrition check.

Best of luck!