starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Method or Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    ...referring to the OP
    If you’re referring to my post, Not sure why you would say that. Either way, I am not. I am just a poor practitioner looking to become better and needing advice to do so. Thanks for the replies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Torresleoncio View Post
    So I am able to bench 315. That being the case, what should I theoretically be able ro squat?
    I don't think anybody would balk too hard at your ratios if your squat was at least somewhere north of 375, but the low/mid-400's would be more typical for a 315 bencher. Of course different lifters have different proportions, injury histories, etc... The ratios don't matter. Getting stronger matters. But your squat needs some attention right now, and Charles is right, you need to learn to squat correctly and run a linear progression to make your squat stronger at the most efficient possible rate.

So I am able to bench 315. That being the case, what should I theoretically be able ro squat?
    Andy Baker has some good programs on his website that you might want to look at. I'd expect someone with a 315 bench to squat in the mid 400s.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I don't think anybody would balk too hard at your ratios if your squat was at least somewhere north of 375, but the low/mid-400's would be more typical for a 315 bencher. Of course different lifters have different proportions, injury histories, etc... The ratios don't matter. Getting stronger matters. But your squat needs some attention right now, and Charles is right, you need to learn to squat correctly and run a linear progression to make your squat stronger at the most efficient possible rate.
    As Skillin said, it's not so much that we want to see a specific squat/bench ratio as it is that your bench's being so much higher than your squat tells us that you're not doing the program.

I'd probably work all the way through the novice LP on your squat and deadlift (it'd be shocking if you could LP more progress out of your bench, though you MIGHT be able to get a few more pounds on your press). Skillin could give better guidance, but I'd probably start you with a hybrid LP/HLM, perhaps something like this:

M: Squat 3x5, Heavy Bench 3x5, Deadlift 1x5
    W: Squat 3x5 +5 lb, Strict Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5 + 10 lb
    F: Squat 3x5 +5 lb, Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5 + 10 lb

But definitely get in front of an SSC, whether in-person or virtually, to get the squats cleaned up so the knees don't bother you anymore.

the low/mid-400's would be more typical for a 315 bencher
    lol I'm a low/mid-400s squatter with a mid 200s bench. I have the opposite problem...

Just checked the link. Are there coaches who I could contact about in person training? I am in Westchester County, NY. One last question, are you guys SS coaches? What are your credentials?
    Email the coaches who are near you, or sign up with SSOC.

Skillin's an SSC; I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    Skillin's an SSC; I'm not.
    Same. Just read the books and several articles a few times (the same cannot always be said for many who post here).

Thanks! Yes, I was definitely not a good practitioner. But, WOW 400# squat! I have a lot of work to do.... I will look into the SSC online. But, I would prefer in person training. How would I find an SSC coach near me?

Thanks everyone, a lot of great info and tips! You guys are great. I reallt appreciate it!!! Now on to doing the actual work.....

Thanks! Yes, I was definitely not a good practitioner. But, WOW 400# squat! I have a lot of work to do.... I will look into the SSC online. But, I would prefer in person training. How would I find an SSC coach near me?
    Charles gave you the link above, but

SSC Directory

and

SSOC

starting strength coach development program
    Charles gave you the link above, but

SSC Directory

and

SSOC
    I think you were the coach I got last year when SSOC did that week-long coach swap. Can't go back and check, though, since that was back during the forum days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12