starting strength gym

Thread: Inter-rep rest during Deadlift 1x5 ?

Default Inter-rep rest during Deadlift 1x5 ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Had a question for the forum. During the DL 1x5 workset, do the reps need to be done one after the other after a brief reset? My last set was 285 for 5. I did 135x5, then loaded another plate and went right into 225 for 2, and then I rested for 5 minutes.

During the workset, I do one rep and then set the bar down, walk over and re-chalk my hands and get set and do another rep. I do this 5 times. The entire set takes about 2 minutes, but I feel I'm getting the best possible position for the lift, and I'm resetting my brain and going through the 5 step approach to the bar and making sure my back angle is good.

Is this a no no? Just curious if people felt like the 5 had to be done right after one another. Any info would be appreciated.

You are doing 5 singles. A set of deadlifts occurs when you don't let go of the bar.

I found it helpful to reset and go through the set up process after every rep so that i'm in a good starting position. Maybe you're taking it a bit to the extreme, try shortening the time between reps. ie: let go of bar, get feet in position, but don't walk away and set up from there. Eventually you'll get used to setting up right after setting the bar down and starting the new rep without letting go of the bar.

Yeah standing up and walking off between sets is a little extreme. The more you do this, the more you're conditioning yourself to not be good at pulling quickly.

Take about 2 - 3 seconds to make sure the bar is above the mid-foot, the back is set, and then pull again.

Quote Originally Posted by giordanodpm View Post
    Had a question for the forum. During the DL 1x5 workset, do the reps need to be done one after the other after a brief reset? My last set was 285 for 5. I did 135x5, then loaded another plate and went right into 225 for 2, and then I rested for 5 minutes.

During the workset, I do one rep and then set the bar down, walk over and re-chalk my hands and get set and do another rep. I do this 5 times. The entire set takes about 2 minutes, but I feel I'm getting the best possible position for the lift, and I'm resetting my brain and going through the 5 step approach to the bar and making sure my back angle is good.

Is this a no no? Just curious if people felt like the 5 had to be done right after one another. Any info would be appreciated.
    A deadlift set is no different from sets in other exercises. All reps should be performed in succession. A few seconds between reps is fine. Walking away and re-chalking, or even letting go of the bar and standing up, would make the set a sequence of singles, and not one cohesive set, as has been pointed out.

Your warm-up also seems a bit odd. If I understand you correctly, when doing 285x5, you do:

135x5
    225x2
    285x5

I would add some more sets to that so you can better warm up and more gradually hit the target weight. Something like this:

135x5x2
    185x3
    225x2
    255x1
    285x5

You can tweak that to your liking, but that would be the general idea.

Lastly, if you find that you have to fully reset between reps when doing deadlifts, you are probably going too heavy. If that is the case, reduce the weight to a point where you can do all 5 reps one after another without fully resetting, and increase the weight from there.

starting strength coach development program
    Guys,

I appreciate all the information. Let me preface this by saying that I have always done a set of five as supposed to - until recently. This set of singles happens every so often, not every time, and it's happened as the sets have gotten heavier. I'm into my NLP, and I'm not great at the power clean, and I have some wrist issues, so I've just been increasing the DL weight by 5 lbs every time. As it's gotten heavier, I've been doing a traditional "set" and only getting 3 or 4, so the next time I do this "rest type session" - I do understand I'm getting five singles though - I see your points absolutely.

I think I need to change up my programming. I'm definitely not out of my linear progression yet, but I think maybe I need to do every other DL day with a set at 60% or 80% and then go up on a 5 lb. higher attempt on the following DL day, if that makes sense. I'm not getting that lighter day of power cleans in, and it's just getting too heavy.

I appreciate the warm up info also, quikky. I've never wanted to burn out, so I abbreviated my warm up, but I'll try adding a few more sets. I do know that I don't go up gradually between my last warm up and my work set.

Thanks guys!