starting strength gym

Thread: Squating with scoliosis

Default Squating with scoliosis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mark,
    I wanted to ask about squating with scolosis.I am 20 years old and It seems that i have a curve in the middle/ upper spine(I will go to the orthopedic doctor to diagnose it next week). I am squating and my squat progressed in 5 weeks of training from 60kg to 90 kg(I did the 5 kg jumps at first for 2 weeks and than decreased them to 2.5kg jumps as written in the book). When i am holding the bar with an even grip and when i am taking chest up position to secure the bar in the correct position, the bar sits not straight on the back and my left calvicle started to hurt. I took some weight off the bar and produced an uneven grip(I placed my left hand wider then the right ), and it felt not very good yesterday(i did 90kg but the 5 rep of set 2 and the 5 rep of set 3 was not so good so i decided to do the 90 kg again), but this time i will try to narrow my left hand and wider my right side(my left side is wicker than the right.).
    Is that ok to take an uneven grip to produce that straight bar position on the back? Or can it harm and make the curve more big?

This is the pictures of me:
    20180817_200626.jpg

20180817_200642.jpg

Here i tried to the the squat with the right hand more wider than the left hand:YouTube

And this is the second set of the workout with 90 kg and the uneven grip(left hand wider than the right hand.):
    YouTube

Thnaks.

Hello-

Thanks for your message. Scoliosis can be difficult to get the bar in a comfortable and correct position. The pictures are helpful- but it says that the videos have been removed when I try the links you have provided. Do you have any more videos of your squat to look at? They would be very helpful to see before trying to give you any help.

Cheers!

20181011_121856.jpg
    Ok so i went to the orthopedic surgeon today and he diagnozed scolosis. He sad that the curve is 20 degrees.

Right, you have scoliosis. Lots of people do, lots of lifters do. The question is now: Do you want a strong back with scoliosis, or a weak back with scoliosis? Look up the board history on this question, and you'll see why I put it down in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Right, you have scoliosis. Lots of people do, lots of lifters do. The question is now: Do you want a strong back with scoliosis, or a weak back with scoliosis? Look up the board history on this question, and you'll see why I put it down in this forum.
    Defenitly i want a stronger back even with the scoliosis. I did mistake when i tried to play with the grip width instead of take the regular even grip and deal with the problem.

I tried squatting with 105 kg and a sharp pain occured in the left side under the chest (when the bar was on the back) so i didnt finished all the reps in the thirs set (the pain was bad).

Maybe 105 is too heavy for your back right now. Maybe you should try 90 first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Maybe 105 is too heavy for your back right now. Maybe you should try 90 first.
    This is the secomd set:
    YouTube
    please tell me that the bar position is bad and the way i get it off from the rack

starting strength coach development program
    because if it really is the problem so i was dumb all this time..