starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arm pain

Default Arm pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I need some help....I don't even really know what I've done to my right arm/shoulder but it has gradually kept getting worse for 6 weeks now. Any time I try to do any bicep movement my bicep hurts bad at my elbow and my shoulder. I can't even squat cause I can't get my arms and shoulder in position to squat without it being excruciating and I hear it pop or cruch on occasion. I can lift with it if I keep it pulled tight against my body but if I use it away from my body it hurts pretty bad. What have I done and what can I do to fix this issue?

Need to see a video of your squat and bench press

I havent barbell benched in a year due to shoulder issues in the past so I do dumbbell bench instead. I can't squat.I can't stand the pain in my arm/shoulder to get under the bar correctly. For the past 2 years I have used the Ripptoe squat and grip. I'm not sure what to do as this is a different pain than any issues ive had in the past. What I've researched is pointing toward a bicep tendon injury. It started aching a little one day doing Atlas stones at our gym and just keeps getting worse to this point.

then show your dumbell press,
    do you press overhead?
    have you seen or read the "get under the bar" stretches videos or articles? (I can't remember which) search for them.
    have you stopped the atlas stones?
    video man, video

I have done the get inervous the bar stretch for a while. Yes I over head press but up until now it hasn't effected my press. I did atlas stones yesterday with really no ill effects other than the norm from this 6 week injury. It doesn't really hurt to dumbbell press until I go on the heavy side and it hurts more trying to get the dumbbells up into position even using my knees to push them up. The pain Is really intense if I try to do bicep work or stretch it back into a squat position it's pretty rough.

I ment get under the bar stretch

"Doc, it hurts when I bang by thumb with the hammer"
    "Stop banging your thumb with the hammer"

it will take me about 5 - 10 minutes to settle under the bar at first,
    I start with full circle arm rotations, nice and slow like, 10 forward, 10 reverse, each side,
    then small rotations at full arm extension straight out to each side, again, 10 forward, 10 backward, concurrent,
    then another few minutes just "getting under the bar" the first time,
    back of the head, mid neck, shoulders, shoulder blades, and then finally somewheres close enough to call it low bar,
    lots of deep breaths and relaxing exhales, lamahs(sp) like, for each next step,
    step in, step out, repeat.
    squat the empty bar, add weight, squat again, warm ups,
    and a very deliberate slow "get under the bar" and an even more deliberate slow get back out from under, which seems to have made my biggest difference,
    when I would "rush" under and out, my shoulders/arms/elbows would really let me know,
    My shoulder Squeeze was also too loose while squatting, "prouder chest" and tighter shoulders also seemed to help with nasty shoulder and elbow pains.
    But that's my N=1

post video(s)
    and post stats,

55, 265, m,
    s250
    d285
    p90
    b150

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I'll see what it does to try your technique and see if that loosens up the arm to get under the bar.

Don't forget , , ,
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Need to see a video of your squat and bench press

starting strength coach development program
    If I can't physically squat or bench at the moment how can I send a video?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast