starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Press Problem

Default Overhead Press Problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi again Mr Rippetoe, I can't press because of low ceilings. I have searched the forum and found the recommendations of a press pit, cutting up the ceiling or going outside but none of these are applicable. I'm going to be training at my parent's house in a spare bedroom so I hope it's clear why I can't cut into the floor... Obviously given it is my parent's house I can't go cutting up anything including the ceiling and going outside taking the bar, weights and squat stands from upstairs all the way through the house and outside in indeterminate weather and right near a very public path isn't going to work so I'm left wondering what to do.

I don't want to do the seated press as I saw the Norwegian study's EMG reading comparison and doing it kneeling would probably be harsh on the knees, right? The only other suggestion I've found while Googling around is to use a camber bar, is this what you'd recommend? Thanks again.

Join a gym. Move houses. Do it seated on your butt. Drop press, only do bench, and compensate for the lack of press by doing more chins and rows, maybe dips. Don't do this last one except at your own risk. Wouldn't recommend not pressing.

As I said, I'd rather not do it seated and I definitely wouldn't like to drop the press. If I could move then I would in an instant, I can't afford it nor can I a gym membership (the only gym near me is a national chain of gyms which is crazily expensive). Do you have any experience with a camber bar attachment?

He wasn't asking for actual advice, he was only asking for validation that he can use a cambered bar.

I don't actually have a cambered bar, I've found an attachment for a normal bar to buy but that is extra cost so I'd actually rather not but I don't know of a better solution.

what's your objection to the seated press?
    I'm doing mine in my basement

I don't have any particular objection, I'd seen a study that showed less muscle activity overall and I was worried whether there were any other issues with it as it isn't included in the Starting Strength book as an alternative for this kind of situation. I was hoping to get Mr Rippetoe's view on this and the camber bar attachment and which would be best. N.B. The attachment I mention can be found here: PROLOC™ Camber Bar Attachment.

I agree that seated press is the way to go for now. Ultimately you are going to need to find a new location, when the weights get heavy. I know of at least two people on this board who actually do their lifting in the yard, or maybe you have a friend with a garage who can split the cost of a rack, or there might be another gym around that’s just not so well-known (in New Jersey I know of a seemingly dead building that’s actually a twenty-four-hour bodybuilding gym with keycard access). You can definitely find a solution, and it might not be as expensive as you think. Take a few weeks to look into it while you start lifting.

I asked here because I thought there was a reason Mr Rippetoe hadn't included it as an alternative in the book for this very situation. It would've been ideal to have him describe correct form in the way only he knows how. I was also hoping to get either his or a Starting Strength coach's opinion on the seated press particularly long term. I just don't see how I can do the overhead press as you mentioned. I would rather do it than the camber bar as I don't have to buy any more equipment but if I can't handle heavy weight then it may not really be worth it...

starting strength coach development program
    The lack of discussion on any viable alternatives to the press tells me, as it should tell you, that there are no viable alternatives to the press. One can do without benching, one can do without low bar squatting, one can maybe do without conventional deadlifting, one can certainly do without power cleaning or snatching, but one cannot do without pressing. If joining a gym or moving houses really is not an option, then doing the press seated is less bad than not pressing at all.

For your ease of mind, and ours, why not buy the attachment and try it out? Doing a test like this could prove useful for further discussions, and if beneficial to you, could allow you to press standing upright. Worth a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast