starting strength gym

Thread: Perceived Heaviness and 45 Degree Back Angle

Default Perceived Heaviness and 45 Degree Back Angle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I have an aspiring Starting Strength coach that would like me to have a back angle of 45 degrees with more chest down so as to involve hips more. I agree that this is the correct posture, but when I get to 45 degrees, the lift feels considerably weaker. See the following video for example:

Almost 45 degrees, but I do not perceive it to be as strong as when I am say, at 50 degrees instead. Why is this? Just keep lifting correctly and I'll be fine?

Kind regards,

JDEightyEight

No video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No video.
    Not sure why it didn't work.

Direct link: Squat Form on Vimeo

It's absolute hell in a commercial gym with everyone telling me I'm doing it wrong and will hurt my back. After a whole year of 'advice' to keep more upright they have finally decided to leave me alone and let me squat my own way. The thing is that it's so easy to listen to bad advice when practically everyone is telling you to be more upright-even though I blocked it out, I still found I was attempting to compromise just to avoid criticism-particularly as a newbie.

Yesterday I was talking to a young lad on the stand next to me. He was attempting to squat 100Kg and had observed my squat with the usual "doesn't that hurt your back" ? So, he does 3 ropey reps with a hyper extended back trying to keep upright-racks it, then starts complaining about a sore back and quads.