starting strength gym

Thread: Advice for an Overweight Friend

Default Advice for an Overweight Friend

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coach,

I have an overweight friend in his 40s who I've convinced to get under the barbell and I'm seeking some advice. He's currently doing met-con type exercise classes and is losing weight at a good clip (which is his main goal), but if you looked at him you'd immediately think this guy is meant to lift heavy. He's spending money on his classes too, so I don't want to tell him to just get a coach since he's reached out for help. Since he's mainly focused on the weight loss part, I don't think I'll be able to convince him to do the program as written and lift 3 times a week since it would be taking time out of the other stuff that he's enjoying and he's seeing results toward his goal.

My hope is that he realizes he loves it (since I think he will) and get on the program as written, but what I should tell him about what he should expect if he only can commit to lifting once a week (or maybe twice if my sales pitch goes well)? Or rephrased, will he see ANY results or a slow LP if he can only commit to lifting once a week? I know you've said many times that the program/barbell lifting is so effective that it will give you SOME results even you're doing it like a jackass (YNDTP), but is once a week enough or will he be wasting his time?

And if once is enough to get something out of it, would you tell him to do both bench/press in the same workout?

Thanks of any advice here.

Sorry I missed that but thanks for point it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jds331 View Post
    Since he's mainly focused on the weight loss part
    If you are really a good friend you might want to have the conversation with him about weight doesn't matter, size matters. Weight is a function of mass and the gravitational effect upon it. You can't see gravity. So you can't see weight. What you see are body size, which is measured in length. Get a measuring tape and measure weekly. That's what really matters.

I speak from personal experience. Once I gave up on the scale and used the belt notches and pant sizes method it all became real! Each training session and each caloric choice became real because it was with me all the time.

Just a humble thought.