starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Conditioning

Default Programming Conditioning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Would programming the prowler once or twice a week be beneficial for a late novice lifter?
    I'm primarily looking for some form of escapism from the 5 lifts that isn't lifting, but has potential carryover.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    Hi,

Would programming the prowler once or twice a week be beneficial for a late novice lifter?
    I'm primarily looking for some form of escapism from the 5 lifts that isn't lifting, but has potential carryover.

Thanks.
    Certainly.

Thanks,
    Is there a certain number of intervals to start off with that typically works best?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    Thanks,
    Is there a certain number of intervals to start off with that typically works best?
    The prowler is a horrendous conditioning tool. There may be no harsher physical conditioning implement in existence. Before you wade off into the great unknown, I'd suggest getting your prowler out (if you haven't already done so) and giving it a couple dry runs to assess how much it kicks the ever living crap out of you. Most I coach in person start with about 4-6 reps before they tap out. As posted earlier, the article by Matt Reynolds is the gold standard for programming prowler work.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    The prowler is a horrendous conditioning tool. There may be no harsher physical conditioning implement in existence. Before you wade off into the great unknown, I'd suggest getting your prowler out (if you haven't already done so) and giving it a couple dry runs to assess how much it kicks the ever living crap out of you. Most I coach in person start with about 4-6 reps before they tap out. As posted earlier, the article by Matt Reynolds is the gold standard for programming prowler work.
    Thanks a lot.

starting strength coach development program
    Prowler tip 1:

I don't have a home gym so I add weight by using a small piece of 2 X 6 over the front and adding sand bags. I'm not sure how much the bags weight but here is my best guess, on the pavement outside of my house for ~ 40 yard intervals

0 bags - This is really hard, but I can do high handle up, low back

1 bag - High handle up, low handle is possible back with ~1 min rest, but I can do this once only, twice on a good night with more rest

2 bags - What the fuck, high handles, rest 2 mins up before coming back. fucking brutal

3 bags - I do half way up and half way back "strength work" and can only handle 4 total (2 each half way) sprints before I sometimes literally fail and can't ush anymore. Then I have to unload all weight and finish with empty sled

Prowler Tip #2 - if you work in a factory, or have friends who weld, have a welder find the design on the web and have it made for you out of stainless steel (you can buy the ski's separately). The SS sled will live longer than you and you can literally store in anywhere and it won't rust on you.

Sucks that I can't use the sled in the winter

1 bag