starting strength gym

Thread: Is it too late to transition to Starting Strength program?

Default Is it too late to transition to Starting Strength program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been doing a 5x5 program for around 3 months (before discovering starting Strength), however my progression on this program has been much slower than other results I have seen online.
    Squat has increased from 60kg 5x5 to 75kg 5x5.
    Deadlift 95kg 1x5 to 112.5kg 1x5
    Bench Press 45kg 5x5 to 62.5kg 5x5
    Press 30kg 5x5 to 42.5kg 5x5
    Barbell Row 50kg 5x5 to 65kg 5x5
    I have only just began doing powercleans for around 2 weeks and progression on these have been pretty quick from 40kg 3x5 to 50kg 3x5.
    Is it too late to transition over to the Starting Strength 3x5 program to make faster progress?

I'm glad you asked. No, it isn't! If you haven't heard of the Barbell Logic podcast, I would recommend checking out the podcast on this very subject. I believe it's called something like "switching from stronglifts to Starting Strength".

To give you the cliffs, just start the next workout at 3x5 at whatever weight you are currently using for 5x5, or potentially an extra jump in weight, normally 5 lbs for lower body and 2.5 lbs for upper body, for the first Starting Strength workout.

Normal caveats apply, which are that you need to be eating and sleeping enough as well as have 95% perfect form in order to perform LP correct. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of the blue book. Good luck, dude!

Thanks a lot mate, I’ll try and pick up a copy of the book. Also are there certain accessory exercises you recommend or is this all in the book. I have currently been doing Chin Ups, Skull Crushers, Shrugs and occasionally some curls for 3x8

Aswell as Close Grip Bench Press

No. Just do the program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by samburton310 View Post
    Thanks a lot mate, I’ll try and pick up a copy of the book. Also are there certain accessory exercises you recommend or is this all in the book. I have currently been doing Chin Ups, Skull Crushers, Shrugs and occasionally some curls for 3x8
    I wouldn't recommend it, especially not at first. You'd do best to just do the barebones program, especially if you're older and don't have the recovery to add lots in.