starting strength gym

Thread: Does bench press translate into the field?

Default Does bench press translate into the field?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been getting a little depressed this year since I've had to stop bench pressing heavy all together due to a bad pectoral tear December last year. I don't think I will go back to benching heavy again, as I don't want another tear.

I was just wondering how much strength gained from benching can be translated into improved athletic performance in say wrestling or mixed martial arts or something? As before the injury I was under the impression the lift was more about getting a big chest and big numbers for vanity. If I am correct in thinking this it won't depress me as much as the vanity doesn't interest me you see! I will be perfectly happy just focusing on the press as the primary upper body lift, thanks!

I played Semi-pro Football as an Offensive Lineman and I saw the most carry over from the Press in terms of upper body strength. Compared to how I blocked and drove people in college or HS, I felt WAAAAY stronger once I drove my Press numbers up North of 200lbs. Additionally my shoulders felt amazing and never had any shoulder injuries which were some what frequent to some guys I played with.

If you are that concerned with another Pec Tear throwing in Close Grip Bench would be worth a try and will help develop your Press a bit. Once you have topped out your Press on LP and move on to intermediate programing using lifts like Close Grip Bench, Tricep Dips and Pin Presses will become very useful. Don't touch those until after you have finished LP though.

Bench will develop more upper body strength since you can lift more weight with the movement. The press will help you learn to apply that strength better, they work in tandem. I believe most of the wisdom around here points to training the injured muscles. An untrained tear heals as a scar, a trained tear will heal much better. Take it light. Leave it out of the program at your own detriment.

Here's Matt Reynolds' write up on the Starr Rehab Protocol- How to Rehab Muscle Strains and Tears | The Art of Manliness.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury, dude. First of all, a pec tear shouldn't keep you from benching ever again, even a particularly bad tear. Since it happened in December, most of the acute management is already done, but working the muscle and pumping blood into it is important even if you can only bench the empty bar. Of course, if you had a grade 3 tear, you'll most likely need surgery for it, and you already would have worked that out with your doctor at this point if that were the case. I'd recommend attempting to rehab the muscle slowly starting with the empty bar and the Starr protocol and just being more careful with load management next time. I'm sure you have an idea of what caused the injury the first time (too frequent exposure to maximal weights, too much volume too quickly, horrible form, etc.), so you ought to be better equipped to prevent it the next time.

As for its importance for performance, there is a component, but it isn't the end all be all. If you can improve your squat, press, and deadlift 20%, you will do better at nearly all physical endeavors than you were before. Keep your chin up, dude. Do what you can while you rehab your injury and don't give up on yourself. You can still do lots of productive training with the lifts you can perform, and I'm not convinced that you will never bench again. Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all. The advice is very much appreciated.