starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check (new lifting shoes)

Default Squat Check (new lifting shoes)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GphW1J_0Aw4

Knees... Are they caving moving too much?

This is one of my first attempts at squatting with lifting shoes. When squatting with lifting shoes do you guys go until you get a natural stretch reflex or do you try to cut off the descent just past parallel? I think some of these reps were high due to me trying to guess where parallel was. I'm used to my flexibility maxing out just below parallel when lifting in chucks.

Anything else noticeably messed up?

This was the third set of a 5/5/15 at 185. Recently reset due to form problems, chiropractic stuff, and new shoes.

Thanks everyone.

You are consistently at least an inch high, probably due to your toes not being turned out enough, but maybe just due to a lack of awareness that also has you (apparently, hard to tell, but I think) in need of a hair cut. Also, like most who post form videos, you are failing to look down. Finally, you apparently can't count to 5 because 15 is not 5, and as a novice, 3x5 is what you're supposed to be doing. I'll also hazard a very safe guess that you've put on little weight and need to eat more and re-set less.

And yes, your knees are also waving around too much.

So turn your toes out, get deeper, and jam your knees out AND KEEP THEM THERE.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 07-25-2011 at 06:04 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiQpUSD5NGs

Toes out and work on my counting skills, check. Unfortunately, my knees were still waving and I was unable to secure a more acceptable haircut due to it being a Sunday evening.

I've had problems with hunching over when I look down so I started looking straight ahead. This time I split the difference and looked at the ground about 15 ahead of me. I'm up about 35lbs but have 30lbs more before rip says that I get to be a man. So yeah, eating and resetting has been an issue.

I've noticed that I tend to have a timid first rep. I'll fix that next time.

stonerider Guest

hard to tell from the view in that last vid but it looked like you were driving with your chest not your hips

narrow your stance

stonerider Guest

don't listen to carnivroar, he hasn't accomplished any goals he's laid out on here

also, your stance is fine... it looks like shoulder-width

if ANYTHING (and i'm not saying you need to or should), it could go a little wider

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    don't listen to carnivroar, he hasn't accomplished any goals he's laid out on here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzd_1Kz0To0

stonerider Guest

if that vid is carnivroar, then don't listen to him because he's an idiot and has a stance in that vid just as wide as yours

starting strength coach development program
    And he can't count to 5 either.