starting strength gym

Thread: PC form check please

Default PC form check please

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This video is for my 4th of 5 sets of 3, at 115 pounds. To put the weight in perspective, my current 5 rep work sets are 170 squat, 150 bench, 225 DL, and 102 press.

I've been trying for weeks to do this lift correctly, but it still doesn't feel good. I've already deloaded once, which seemed to help for one or two workouts. The lighter weight allowed me to pull with more speed, involve my traps at the right moment, which helped get the bar up to the rack position. But after adding weight the next couple of workouts, I again don't feel comfortable doing these. I get sore wrists and elbows. Not sure if I should drop the weight down and just leave it there for a while until I get better at the movement. Any advice is appreciated!

http://youtu.be/ccRv_Fs0Pjg?t=12s

You are starting with your butt a little too low and pushing the bar forward a bit. A slightly wider grip would not hurt anything, either. Besides that, however, you are not really doing anything terribly wrong. You are just moving very slowly. That is why this is difficult. Watch the video below and note the speed at which the trainees execute the jump. The clean must be done quickly.

https://vimeo.com/101016220

Also, the cleans will get easier as your deadlift improves.

Thanks, Tom, I will try again today focusing on the items you noted. I will keep the weight the same as my last workout for now. I agree that I am moving slowly, I can feel it. The kids used to call me "turtle" in 4th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by EricT View Post
    Thanks, Tom, I will try again today focusing on the items you noted. I will keep the weight the same as my last workout for now. I agree that I am moving slowly, I can feel it. The kids used to call me "turtle" in 4th grade.
    That being the case, your dreams of representing the US in Olympic weightlifting may be on hold. However, I bet with some practice you can move faster.

I'd like to report some improvement with today's workout. I widened my grip, kept my hips higher at the start, and focused on speed. I was doing the first part of the pull like a deadlift, slowly, until passing the knees. So this time, I tried pulling harder and faster from the floor, and the bar hitting my chin told me this was the right approach.

starting strength coach development program
    Good. I am happy to hear this.